Monday, February 16, 2009

My First Wedding Shower

1st - I'm engaged if you hadn't pieced that together yet.

So I went to our first wedding shower and stayed the whole time. I started to get nervous about attending because people kept asking me if I had to stay the shower and when I said I was planning on it they acted surprised! "Really, you're staying?"

What did they have in store for me? Would I be the object of ridicule? Will I be crying with boredom? Would I be blindfolded for any reason? Was there some kind of wheel of destiny I'd have to spin?

Turns out nothing bad really happens, nor was it boring really. I just smiled and thanked people a lot. I think I've discovered why this shower wasn't so bad, two words "come and go"... three words if you count the "and"... and you probably should without its just "come go" which doesn't imply time for cake.

Basically people streamed in and put their gift down. The gift conveyor belt moved them towards Sara who opened them. The people got cake, as did I, and we opened gifts. I spent most of my time talking to Sara's mom and sister. After a person's gift was opened and their cake devoured they often gave us best wishes and left and new people came in to start the cycle over.

The weird thing about all these gifts is there were mostly better versions of junk I already had. Even though I had registered for them, I felt like the gifts were implying I had no silverware, plates or cooking implements whatsoever.

So whenever Sara would open something I'd say:
"Wow, plates! Now we don't have to eat off the table!"
"Wow, cookie sheets, now the dough won't fall through the grate and onto the oven floor."
"Wow, serving utensils, now Sara won't have to bring me food cupped in her hands."
"Wow, a blender, now my shakes won't be so lumpy."
"Wow, spoons, eating soup is going to be much easier!"
and so forth.

Parting words for Men
* If its "come and go" I think its ok for you to go to it... if invited.
* Also, don't try to be helpful by throwing away bows, they keep those.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you have to bring your own towels or were they provided? Oh, sorry about that, wrong shower. No wonder I've never been invited to one.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Lynn Leaming said...

Hope you didn't break any bows. You know what that means right?

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

fun...hope you got lots of great stuff. I can't wait for the next shower!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Jennifer Schroeder said...

Glad you survived your first shower.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have no idea how sorry I am that I had to miss your shower. But I will be at the wedding with bells on!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters