Monday, December 10, 2007

Twelve Humbugs of Christmas: Parts 1 & 2

First and foremost I LOVE Christmas! It is awesome. But I find myself in a Scroogey feeling this year. So I plan on giving you my 12 Humbugs of Christmas.

(The first two blend into each other so I've made them into on post.)

Part 1: Home Decorations
&
Part 2: Other People's Decorations
I don't recommend either.

I don't decorate for Christmas. I was asked if it was because I had some strange Christian objection to Christmas, this is not the case. I love Christmas. But I never liked decorating. It felt more like mom cracking a whip while we toiled to hang ornaments and lights while she laughed and rubbed her hands together maniacally.

So now, my house, no lights, no tree. I actually kind of like looking at lights and decorations. But I feel I get enough of that out in the world. Everywhere is brightly decorated. Even out church has a great big tree in the family center. I feel I absorb a lot accidentally, I don't need to induce more at home.

I have to also admit that I really don't like driving around to look at lights. I've done it every year it seems like with one group of friends or another who twist my arm into it. In short, I enjoy the time with my friends but what are we doing... wasting gas watching others waste electricity.

If these drives have no children on board it is just sad, a bunch of grown ups trolling the neighborhood: "Look another light bulb! That Edison was a genius!" I mean were you brought up on Little House in the Prairie, "Look Paw! Twinkling Lights, can we go stare at them, we've been ever so good this year!"

Of course stores decorate to induce you to shop more. Its kind of like putting chum in the water to attract sharks and start a feeding frenzy. If I see garland and little bells I just needs to buy me a Pepperage Farms Basket.

Part 1: Home Decorations - You'll just have to take it down in 4 months, Humbug!
Part 2: Other People's Decorations - Capitalist Swine controlling our brains with lights, Humbug.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something about the first tree makes you feel all grown up; and something about taking it down makes you feel trapped. I used to enjoy the simple string of lights around the house eve; but that would be uncouth by today's standards. When we moved into our new home the prior owners left some pvc pipe striped with red tape to mimic peppermint sticks in the attic. At first I thought how lucky I was; but putting them out and stringing the lights and everything that goes with it is such a chore. I guess I"m feeling rather Scroogie this year too.

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that is why we don't have any lights on the house this year??? I like having lights. But I have the inside tree; so that can do, I supposed.

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs hey man - I didn't put the lights out because of the foundation work - uhhh yeah, that's it. The foundation work...

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

trey, i read your blogs and just think to the future when all of this will be different. you will be one of those great dads, standing on a ladder, puttin' up lights... the day after thanksgiving! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters