Monday, November 05, 2007

School Lunches Pt. 1

A universal American experience is the elementary school lunch. A lot of thought and preparation went into slapping bologna on bread back in those days.



I was 99% of the time a kid who bought their lunch. I envied those brown paper bags and Ninja Turtle Lunch box kids, the Bringers. So I did what any anxious kid did, analyzed them out of the corner of my eye so that one day, if I brought a lunch, I could blend in with the brown baggers. But that was a rarity, we were a buy-your-lunch family not a bring-your-lunch family.



Today, I think I'll focus my jealous nostalgia on one aspect of the school lunch experience. The container. I had no choice in my container, just a plastic tray and they only came in one color, tan... or was it faded blue? (Maggie might remember.)



Anyway, the Bringers always had a lot of variety in their lunch container. My favorites were the lunch boxes with coordinated thermoses! Genius! Oh, what I wouldn't have given for one of those. (Of course, I had one but there was never a lunch inside it so it stayed at home.)



The lunch box gave you a chance to declare you allegiance to something too. There was the G.I. Joes, the Ninja Turtles, the A-Team! There were also female equivalents, but since as a 1st grader girls were just a buzz on the periphery of my mind I don't remember them as well. (Like I said, Maggie will probably remember. She's entrusted to keep my memories for me, for example, what's the name of the teacher who had us sing "Texas our Texas" every morning? I don't know but guess who will.) But I digest (ba-dum-ching).



I also remember the fickle winds of fate that blew through the lunch room sometimes. It seemed one semester you had to have Ninja Turtles, then suddenly after Christmas the turtles were lame! Only dweebs still had that kids show. Now you had to have the Power Rangers.



Upon reflection on this topic with Jeffro, he said, "Nothings said maturity like a brown paper bag." I hadn't realized this. I was a Buyer, Jeff was a Bringer. As an outsider, I never realized there was a hierarchy. But its clear to me now. When you finally rose above the petty childish plastic lunch boxes (with awesome matching thermos) you brought the brown paper bag.



But there is nothing like a lunch box! When I got my current employment I bought this lunch box for myself.






I hope to one day have my last meal served in my Last Supper Lunch box.




I guess I have a lot more to say about lunches, like what goes in them so I've added that "Pt. 1" to the title. I'll get back to you after lunch. I'll leave you with my parting bit of angst.

As all of you Bringers opened you boxes and bag I had to carry that tan/blue tray to the table. And everyday somebody had to say: "Hey, nice tray, Trey!" Every single day of my life! It happened a week ago at the Casa Linda Cafeteria! It's a wonder I'm not on top of a bell tower somewhere with a painball gun and a thermos full of chicken and stars taking my revenge on the world.

And now you know the rest of the story... mmmmm, Good day!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, Blogger karen b said...

we were a "bringers" family. just recently, my mom found my brother's old "emergency" lunch box. greatness.


p.s. yes, i realize you're too young to have watched "emergency." no need to remind me of that.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Emily said...

I remember two lunchboxes in particular - one was pink with My Little Ponies on it and one was blue with Care Bears. Both with matching Thermos'.

I was about a 50% bringer, 50% buyer. On the buy days I'd have $1.25 for lunch, milk, and ice cream. For some reason in Kindergarten, I thought that the extra quarter was for the milk and that the ice cream was included and got really upset one day when I lost my quarter until my teacher told me that the milk was included, I just couldn't get ice cream that day. It was traumatic.

I also remember graduating to paper sacks and then to the thing even cooler than paper sacks - those bright colored insulated bags from container store that were shaped like paper sacks only they had velcro at the top and you didn't throw them away. You were truly an adult when you got one of those in 5th grade.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to attend a small private school (until 7th grade) that had a woman in charge of the kitchen who was an AMAZING cook. I ate everything Mattie ever fixed and then would go back for seconds (that was allowed if you cleaned your plate). I always felt sorry for the kids who brought their lunch!!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Jennifer Schroeder said...

i am very envious of your last supper lunch box. it just screams, "jesus loves me the best."

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Adam said...

I liked the bagged lunch too, but I always had to hide the joke that my mom would write on the napkin for fear of getting beat up.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

The net is currently down at home so Mags cant' comment until it's back up.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

I resent the lunch buyer's image you have given this mom. I distinctly remember packing some organic turkey on whole grain sandwiches wich asparagus shoots, free range deviled eggs, tofu and celery sticks and a carrot cake slice made with soy milk. Booyah. OK. Bologna.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Trey this took me back...
First the trays were light blue. There were like 4 tan trays at JTS, thus they were highly covented.

The Texas our Texas teacher was 3rd grade Mrs. Bice.

I had a variety of lunch boxes but the best was a vinal bag with my name monogramed on it. It was a better version of the brown paper sack!

I was a bringer except for Pizza and Steak fingers day. Also my mom would bing a happy meal once a week.

I love and misss you!
ps- blog about the time you barfed in the lunch line:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters