Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The House-Spirit Connection

When I was in Psych classes at Harding and ACU on of my favorite subjects was the "Mind-Body Connection." It is amazing what the mind can do. It can make you sick, it can heal you. There are even documented cases of women who want to be preggers so bad they fool their bodies, their stomachs grow, they lactate and they can even fool a chemical pee test. Amazing.

Now that I'm a home owner and live the bachelor life I've discovered the "House-Spirit Connection." When my house is dingy and cluttered I feel it dragging me down from afar and I live in fear of the dreaded "pop in." When it is clean I wake up peppy, I'm ready for people to drop in, I invite people over. Probably the best thing I've done for my social life is cleaning up my stupid house.

Concerning "pop-ins" I still fear them somewhat, I like my alone time. So here is my commitment to you. If my front porch light is on, you may pop in. If it is not, just keep walkin'. I may need another signal if you want to drop buy during the day Saturday or something.

Now my house isn't clean like Martha Stuart OCD clean, its just bachelor clean. But I think people expect a few dishes in my sink and books in little piles all over the house from me. If they can't accept it, they don't need to invade my fortress of solitude anyway!

I'm not taking very good care of my lawn, but I can sense something. I can see on the horizon another connection, "The Lawn-Machismo Connection."

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll mow your lawn for you if you watch my kids while i do it!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

Dear Anon,

Let's just teach your kids to mow the lawn and we can watch TV inside.

XOXO,
TL

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the porch light idea. I like knowing that it is OK to drop in on you and see you!!!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger preacherman said...

I have a riding lawn mower and my son is only 6. He wants to go ahead and ride it. I have to mow our house which includes the church lawn. Huge. The mower has 7 speeds...Super fast!!! I think I might have to wait at least another year.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

So, if your light is out and you procrastinate (<-something you do) in changing the lightbulb. You will ALWAYS have alone time and sitting there ready for someone to "pop-in". In theory though you have a good idea. For that commitment to work you will need to change the bulb every once in awhile.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

Yeah, new rule: no pop-in's if you like manga.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Rachel Kerbel said...

hey trey! i really didn't read your blog to be honest, i just like looking at pictures(j/k). anyhow, i wanted to say hi!!! sounds like you are doing well and still making all of us laugh-you are great. see ya!
rachel (kacsmaryk) kerbel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters