Wednesday, November 07, 2007

School Lunches Pt. 2

A lot of reactions to Pt. 1. It seems I was oblivious to the Vinyl bags being the final stage of evolution. How could I, I was a Buyer? Mags filled in some details for my last post and reminded me vomiting in the lunch line, but I think I've said enough about that already.

Today I want to focus on the contents of the school lunches.

As a Buyer, I can recall exactly the FDA approved lunches I used to get served. They often tried to add things like peaches to make something seem healthy but they were always out of a big can in heavy syrup. Being a Buyer taught you the important lesson: "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit." You had no control on the menu, the portion or the temperature of the food. Each day you show up and take your beating. Somedays, yak, creole spaghetti and other days Pizza!

Us Buyers really resented you Bringers when you crossed the line and bought your lunch on Pizza day! This was our line, our lunch lady! But sure, when its convenient for you come Buy a lunch and make the line super long!

The Bringers lunches seemed much more interesting to me:

* A sandwich wrapped in that plastic bag with a flap. (This was before the proliferation of ziplock bags.) The sandwich was usually bologna on white, PB&J on white, or ham and cheese on white. Wheat bread meant a sure fire beating I was sure. Occasionally there was one leaf of lettuce on there for some reason.

* Carrot sticks - I never knew why so many kids got these, but they seemed to like them. They ate them, and I still don't know why.

* Drink - Sometimes moms sent a quarter in the bag to buy milk but more often they sent Capri Sun or used that awesome matching THERMOS! The best was one soda wrapped in Tin Foil! The tin foil didn't keep it "not cool, but palatable... not cool, but palatable." (That last quote was for Ms. Patty.)

* Chips - I usually got a handful of chips in a sandwich bag, pre-crunched. But some kids got those proportioned little bags of chips. I also recall how horrible it was when the 20 count variety bag was down to Frito's how horrible that could be. You'd eaten all the Cheetos and Doritos and were down to corn toe nails.

* Fruit - Apple or Banana standard. An orange was too much work. Most of the Bringers I knew often threw away the fruit still in the paper bag. (Touch luck starving kids in China.)

* Dessert - It was always an odd number of cookies. No self respecting mom would give their child 2 or 4 Oreos. It had to be 3 or 5, rarely 1 if it was a big oatmeal creme number.

* The infamous note - I remember little notes being written on napkins. I was envious of them, but the Bringers were shamed by them. They desperately didn't want anyone to know that they had a mother who loved them and who drew little hearts on their napkin.

Clearly the moms of America sat down each morning with the food pyramid and did their best to live up to it.

But what about the wild card of school lunches: Dads. I could always tell when for some reasons a dad had been forced to make the school lunch of a friend. It would be like a comedy of errors. Instead of ham and cheese you got Pimento cheese. Or they tried to make PB&J and had used Apricot instead of Grape, what a scandal. An even number of cookies, usually too many, like 6. No fruit, instead whatever was prepackaged around the house: granola bars, pop tarts, croutons. Thankfully they left no note.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If my dad had made me a lunch....I'm trying to figure out what it might be. Once we went on a weekend Boy Scout campout and my dad was the guy in charge. We had hamburgers for breakfast, lunch and dinner with maybe hotdogs on the side. Lots of potato chips. Only veggies was what was piled on the burger. And Pork and Beans. Yum. Never could identify that white blobby thing floating in the syrup until someone told me it was bacon. I think I laughed.

I was a buyer. Lunch tickets were bought on Monday morning and I can still remember the poor kids who either lost their lunch money or tickets. Many a time I found a quarter or thirty-five cents on the playground. I would always take it to the Principal's office and after a couple of days, the money was mine! I could buy a whole bag of Cheetos (what would cost $3.00 today) for 35 cents.

Growing up in New Mexico we always had enchiladas on Wednesdays and fish sticks on Fridays. I would always eat with the girls cause I knew they wouldn't eat all their food. I used to love the carrot and raisin salad. I could have all I wanted of that, as well as cole slaw.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am laughing out loud...it's all too true.

I didn't get sandwich bags. My mom wrapped ours in saran wrap and you had to fight to get it out. By the time you did, it was just a glob of bread with whatever had been put inside of it. But once she got the sandwich size tupperware, it was a wonderful day! That is, until you accidentally threw it away.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Emily said...

My favorite buying days were pizza (duh! I still love elementary-school style pizza) and chicken fried steak days.

The worst were burrito (I still swear that there was a worm in mine one time) and chicken pot pie. I still can't eat chicken pot pies. I would only eat the sides on those days and go home hungry.

I never got the schedule though so as a 50/50 girl, it was always traumatic when in a single week I'd bring on chicken fried steak day and buy on chicken pot pie day. Worst ever!

My vinyl bag wasn't monogrammed, just had my name in paint marker with dots on the corners of letters. And of course we had the baggies with the flap....until "Blue and yellow make green" became a common advertisement. :)

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Ashley N said...

All so true! I was a bringer with the note/joke always on my napkin.

Now, as a teacher, back in the land of school lunches...I'm still a bringer. The food actually looks good to me a lot of the time though...I'm planning to become a buyer for at least one day soon. Probably on pizza day.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I thought I made a comment earlier but I guess it did not post for some reason so here goes try # 2:

our third grade teacher, Mrs. Bice, was TX our TX.

the trays were light blue but there were 2 or 3 tan trays that had colored specks on them and thus they were highly coveted.

I was a bringer except for pizza-squares and steak strips day, and I always had 15 cents for a fudge round. My mom also brought me a happy meal once a week! I remember her bringing them for you too.

Tell about the time you barfed in the lunch line: classic!!!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

Mags, you did post on Pt. 1 this is Pt. 2. And as always your memory is my safety net, if I get old-timers you'll have to follow me around 24/7.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

ok but when you finaly die, know that there wil be a slide show.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger stacey4 said...

I remember Dad giving me 5 full dollars on a Monday and telling me it was mine. I could choose to make my lunch (and keep the money) or buy my lunch. My kids are all bringers....I'm a pro at cutting sandwiches out into a variety of shapes depending on the season and printing out notes for the lunchbox. Madison has moved on to just a plain brown bag (as to not draw attention to pre-teen herself)

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Oh how I've loved these past two posts.

I was a bringer, except for pizza, nacho, and chicken nugget day. Sadly, working in the public schools, I'm still a bringer, except for pizza, nacho, and chicken nugget day. I haven't changed.

I'll never forget, at the end of the summer, we were cleaning out our kitchen cabinets. I was trying to decide which lunch box to bring. As I reached in the back of the cabinets to find the lunch boxes, I began to smell something. I opened up the lunch box, to find part of my lunch from the last day of school.

I was the kid who saved whatever I didn't eat. I brought it back home so it wasn't wasted. I'm sure it just went in the trash can at home, instead of the cafeteria. This lucky leftover just went back in the dungeon of the cabinet and didn't see the light until school started up again. It was the moldiest orange I've ever seen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters