Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Upside to the Writers Strike

Ok so this week I watched the first episode of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno that I actually found funny since the mid 90s. Unfortunately for Jay it was a replay of a show from 1993.

I don't know when Jay Leno gave up and decided being funny wasn't his thing anymore but seeing him in old form brought to light how dull his show is now.

The 1993 Lineup:
A good opening monologue

Chit chat with Branford Marsales who is better than what's-his-name on the bass.

He did Headlines - this was before people started faking them to get on tv.

His first guest was TOM HANKS! Who was plugging A League of their Own. Only he didn't just plug the move, play a clip and leave (like they do today). No way! He did 3 segments! Is this Jay being lazy or are today's celebs just to vapid to do more than 5 minutes? (Probably some of both.) Tom talked about an actors strike in the 80s which seemed to fit in well with our current strike. Then he shared a story about Tom's failed stand up career, which he left "to become a global celebrity"

Then Dilbert McClinton performed some song. It wasn't great but he walked over to the couch immediately after to talk with Jay. This was funny because he couldn't stop sweating profusely through the whole thing. He couldn't catch a breath. I kept thinking, "Jay, say something longer than 3 words so he can breath!"

Then they interviewed newsman Brian Ross.


Anyway, what happened to Jay? Good news is this is his LAST YEAR! Hurray! My man Conan O'Brien will be taking over. But will the Late Night pressure and old people audience sap the life out of him as well? Time will tell. This will probably be the best year to watch Conan as he has nothing left to lose!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to disagree, but Branford was so stiff at times I felt sorry for him. Kevin is much more fun. I was glad to see Branford go. The original announcer guy was pretty good too. Wonder what ever happened to him? Letterman gives me heartburn with his "everyone is stupid but me" routine. I like Jay better. I have not seen enough of Conan to have an opinion of him. I wish him well.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Wezie said...

Sorry, heyman, I have always liked Dave more than Jay. Conan's skin is too tight.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

I have not seen Jay Leno since the dancing Judge Itos, a very funny sketch...

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think it would be great if they just decided to use their nineteen-ninety-something schedule until the writers strike their strike.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters