Monday, January 29, 2007

Retrospecticus

I think that was the title of either my Harding or SCS yearbook. Retrospecticus. What kind of name is that. Yes, it's better than the "Prickly Pear" but what isn't.

Sometimes I wish they made years books for years after college, but then I think they don't because most people don't like a well documented photo of their bad hair styles. My memory isn't so good. I don't know where any of my old yearbooks are but if I could find one maybe I could remember more teachers than: Coach & Mrs Cox (1st Grade), Mrs Brice (3rd), Coach Collins (HS) & Mrs. Campbell (HS). Am I forgetting someone? Hmm... Thrasher, I remember her, and that teacher who looked just like her husband (tall, slender, short dark hair), what's her name. Well I guess that's all I can think of. OH! Mr. Edsel taught physics. I remember him because of him being named after a famously lousy car and his stories of terrorizing hippies when he was in the navy.

Clearly remembering half a dozen teachers over 12 grades is pretty bad. But I consider myself self-taught. Which was probably the key to my success as SCS. Back in the day it was an academic joke, I learned a lot but most of it I just took on myself. I understand now they have ratcheted up the curriculum, but who's to say. Very few of my HS and undergrad teachers challenged me, the rest either just entertained me, detained me or constrained me. Is there a "tained" word for challenged? Hmm... If I can think of one this could be a good sermon.

Detainer - A teacher who just fills an hour of time in my life no interest in teaching me or holding my attention, although this does allow for good day dreaming time for the detainee.
Constrainer - A teacher who tried to bully or intimidate me. As if "sitting quietly" were the highest moral good.
Entertainer - A teacher who made for lively class but didn't really get much teaching in.
Lecturer - A teacher with good content but poor delivery skills.
Challenger - A teacher who explodes! (What? Too soon?)

Seriously, there are few teachers who cause ideas to explode in you head wanting you to learn more on your own.

Well this ramble has got to end, I intended to blog about the lady next to me on the plane who told me about her night of drinking and insanity in Orlando then choked on her gum when she eventually asked me, "So, what do you do?"

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Hahahahaha!

Night of binge drinking: $100
Hotel room in Orlando: $250
Spilling your story about a debaucherous night out to a Church of Christ children's minister on an airplane: Priceless

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it worked out ok with the piano player in SA (him finding out you were a minister)


hehehehehe

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

Trey & Emily you should do a stand up comedy routine.

Trey did you see Mickey Mouse in FL.

Trey-I'm picturing your teachers' blogs about their dynamic hilarious students that they will never forget.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger karen b said...

i didn't know you sat next to jennifer gambill on the plane!

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

The yearbook at SCS was "Retrospect". Your teacher was "Mr. Etzel". Didn't you have Mr. Jewitt as your 5th grade teacher? Maybe I'm wrong. Tall slender woman who looks like her husband, Coach Kalb. I'm sure Maggie could list every teacher you've ever had.

Come to The Weavers next Thursday to watch Survivor Season Premiere. Please.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

Mrs. Tefertiller was Kindergarten.
Second grade we were sent to the school in the "black neighborhood", we had Mrs. Carter. Remember she tripped one morning coming in and her wig fell off.
3rd was Bice (you were close)
4th was Mrs. Enochs- we loved her.
Sixth at Wedgewood we had Mrs. Hall for band! (you were good at trombone!)
8th we had King, Bartee, and our first year with Halbauch.
9-12 you pretty much got it, but you did leave out crazy english teacher who cried! (named omited on purpose)

I love that i have spent my entire life with you! You are my oldest and most dear friend. It is amazing how long we have been BF, and I also love that now you are one of Ry's BF. My children adore you "Trey from Camp". Now I am all weapy. I love you !!!!!

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh... Trey... I know where you got the name "Retrospecticus"; it was from "The Simpsons". Lisa was the yearbook editor that year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters