Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Rant: Please Pull Around

Ok, so I eat fast food too often. And let me say the expression "Please Pull Around" has begun to to weight heavily on my mind. I think the whole drive through thing is at sixes and sevens with itself.

Why so many Windows?
Ok so back in the day you had one window. And they took your money and gave you your food. This was understandable. Then some egghead developed the two window system. Take you money at the first window and screw up your order at the second. A "convenience" that every other chain has adopted. BUT I HATE IT when they have multiple windows but they are only using 1! I mean why build the others if you can't staff them. Worst is if you wait at the first window until the other guys has to wave you down from food window, because your an idiot and didn't listen when he said, "Please pull around to the 2nd window." Which 2nd window, mine or yours?

And some places have even more windows now! Two windows taking orders and one giving out the wrong stuff. If they have two I always have a micro-panic attack. What should I do? I just throw it in reverse and go the KFC.

Proof I Can't Every Be Happy:
Ordering from a Person vs. Talking into the Clown's Mouth

There is a new trend to order with a human being. McD's is doing it now. You have to tell a person face to face what you want. Why I hate this?

1) I'm often ashamed of my order. I'll have a supersized number 3, and let me get a Frosty... "What drink Sir?" Uhm.... mumble... "What was that Sir?" ... Diet Coke OK! I want 2 lbs of grease and cheese and a DIET coke!

2) I like to look at the pictures while I order. Even though Wendy's menu hasn't changed in a decade I like to think that I might mix things up and order something different. But I don't, Mustard and Pickles only.

But the speaker in the clowns mouth is bad too:

1) It's embarrassing to be yelling at an inanimate sign! And I mean yell because they don't hear you. "I'd LIKE A 5 PIECE NUGGET! NO SAUCE!" I sometimes carry a cheerleader megaphone to yell at the box. "GIMME an N! U! G! G! E! T!"

2) When they talk back it likes it's be translated into Japanese by Chewbacca! Where all drive through speakers made in the 40's. Is there vacuum tube technology still at work?

SO, I can't be happy, I hate both systems... but I love fast food.

They always screw up your order.
You finally navigated the quagmire that is the drive through and your so happy to go you get the bag and slam on the gas! Why not? You are free! Then a block away you get to thinking. That bag seemed a little light. So you do that little one hand on the wheel, one hand frantically feels around in the bag doing a tactile inventory. Ok, I've got two burger shaped things. Some fries, a scalding hot apple pie... wait? Where are my union rings?! But now you 2 blocks away, do you go back? What would you say, no... you just take it! Not me! I got back. I go back to the food giving window and I go there first. I back into the out way. I'll ram a car out of the way. "Pardon me, you forgot my rings. Also could you pay for that guys bumper, I just rammed him because of what YOU did."

Places that have no drive through:
Isn't this killing your business. A fast food place with no drive through is like a person with no answering machine... get with the times. The biggest offender in this area is Subway. Are they too good for drive through? I mean they are named after a mode of transportation themselves. "I can tell you what I want without pressing my face against the glass... hmm... banana peppers, Parmesan cheese and uh... what the heck, throw some leeks on my meetball sub."

Quick Final Thoughts:
* Why do they hide the the straw in the BAG! I always panic for a nanosecond until I find it.
* Do they really put something in KFC chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly? I'll have to check my food diary.
* Why only two ketchups?

9 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My problem is the $1.00 menu they have now (Wendy's AND MickyD's). I can COMPLETELY overeat for only $3-4. And, yes, I get a Diet Coke with it also.
So we can just have lousy eating habits together. Living to 90 is overrated anyway.

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My GRRRR! for fast food is when I use my convinent check card and not get a receipt to write out the food expenditure. Come on... I am getting fast food in the first place because I am in a hurry, hungry, and need to get to my next destination within 15-20 minutes. So why do they think I would not need the receipt to make sure I write out my purchase. I have only mastered eating while driving not balancing my checkbook.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, man, as you can see, after quite a break, I'm back in blogland.

Taco Bell messed up ten consecutive orders for me here in Boise during my first six monthes here. Now they are under new management and I've only gotten two mess-ups since (out of about 150 trips).

[I was reading past posts and I saw the Prisoner post. When we were at ACU you told me about it and I thought it sounded familiar, but now I've remembered: there was a video game in the 80's for the Apple IIe, titled: "Prisoner 2," that was based on the show . . . just thought I'd share. The game might still be in the parents' garage, I'll bet there's an Apple that can access it too. I'll invite you when they have a garage saleยก]

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger nairb said...

I often lament how it would be easier for me to eat healthy if I wasn't so lazy. I made a real effort to skip the grease places for Subway for a little while. Getting out of the car to stand in an entertainment free zone just loses something.

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Upon your suggestion the other night over wings (ummmmm wings); I took Little Bro to Jack in the Box last night and got me a couple tacos for a buck. Quite different from the others out there; and reminded me of some I used to get as a kid in Las Cruces growing up. Not the best I've ever had, but pretty good. And the Texas Cheeseburger was decent too. Mustard, pickles, onions and a patty that was thick enough I could not read through it - all on a sesame seed bun. Not bad. Like I said last Tuesday (ummmm wings), I love the Jack in the Box commercials; but I rarely eat there. Maybe I'll start going there more often.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

HA! Great post my friend!

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger karen b said...

i love the chick-fil-a drive through -- only one window, always quick, and they have never messed up my order

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

Trey Responds:

Other Mom: $3.25 (with tax) is too much to pay for a heart attack

Rebecca: I hate signing credit card reciepts at the drive thru, I make up for it by stealing their pen.

ty: We have a taco bell here that is so nice it is reknown for miles around as the "Nice Taco Bell"

Nairb: You sound like you've watched one too many Jarod commercials.

Hey Man: 2 Tacos for a Buck! They are good but they aren't really tacos.

Lindsey: How did I know this post would be right up your alley.

Karen: Chick-fil-a is really the exeption to the rule, but they were founded by a Christian. (Can't they get some Muslims or Jews or agnostics to run the store on Sunday? It makes no sense that they are closed?)

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Subway MUST develop a drive through. This might be a campaign issue this fall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters