Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I want to be a Christian Revolutionary

What is a Christian Revolutionary?

"They have no use for churches that play religious games, whether those games are worship services that drone on without the presence of God or ministry programs that bear no spiritual fruit. Revolutionaries eschew ministries that compromise or soft sell our sinful nature to expand organizational turf. They refuse to follow people in ministry leadership positions who cast a personal vision rather than God's, who seek popularity rather than the proclamation of truth in their public statements, or who are more concerned about their own legacy than that of Jesus Christ. ... They are unimpressed by accredited degrees and endowed chairs in Christ colleges and seminaries that produce young people incapable of defending the Bible or unwilling to devote their lives to serving others. And Revolutionaries are embarrassed by language that promises Christian love and holiness but turns out to be all sizzle and no substance."
~ George Barna, "Revolution"


This book offers the opening question "Worn-out on Church?" right on its cover. I see our world being filled with people who feel this way. I think me brother is one of these people, who is attracted to the ancient spiritual but put off by the modern church. Some ministers fear that they won't come to church and keep us in our jobs. Not me, I'm exited to think about what this group could do if you offered them something authentic! These people want to passionately LIVE IT! I want the parents at much church to become so involved they put me out of a job. I laugh in the face my 30 year morgage! HAHAHA Homelessness, I've been there, not that bad being Nomadic! No health insurance? Who cares I just won't get sick or I'll just die! No dental? I'll just stop smiling. Wait I don't have dental now.

Its easy to go along with the flow of church. To do things that are ok but not GREAT! To do what is expected, routine and familiar. And those things aren't bad, but sometimes you have to ask youself if your tired of a "That'll-do-attitude." If you find yourself wondering if you could be authentic in your walk with Christ, if you've just been phoneing it in for a decade and you're of being a phoney and fraud, then you just might be a Christian Revolutionary and can I stay at your house when I work myself out of a job?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were welcome to stay at our house when you HAD a job; you would certainly be welcome if you were looking for a job. And I would only make you cook once a week (Hamburger Helper is fine with me!!)

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Malcolm said...

I suppose if you can find some floor space, we are always amiable to a missionary revolutionary.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I totally agree, Viva La Revolution. I always assumed that everyone thought that way, but that we just all had a hard time putting it into practice, maybe I was wrong. Maybe most people are card-punching, and thrill-seeking, rather than lacking in self-discipline or vision.

Ascetacism appeals to me enough that I have little fear of losing my (currently non-existant) job to revolution. Though I would prefer to pay off my school bills before I find a meager hermitage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters