Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Leadership and "Son of Shakey"

Kevin Kelly has spearheading the final construction of "Son of Shakey" our new stage. He started at 5:30 and we left after 11pm. When we were headed to the car I walked over to thank Kevin for all his help and he said, "Well, I didn't do that much, I ended up supervising more than actually working." I've had this feeling pretty often during the VBS process. Feeling like I'm not "really working" when I end up supervising.

Its clear to me that Kevin was doing "real work" when he supervised. I'm sure he'd've liked to have the tools in his hands the whole time but he did what needed to be done instead of what he'd like to do. And the final product looks fantastic and isn't all that shakey at all.

Of course there were a lot of other men working on "SoS" without whose dudepower the set would not have gotten built on time. I'm always grateful for all our guys who can bring their tools, talent and time. If only the costumers had this kind of commitment.

I Kid! I Kid!

The costumers have done a fantastic job! They do such a good job that after our initial conversation I don't worry about it at all. They just show up looking awesome (the costumes look nice too). I've neglected them for too long in this blog. But of course, I love them dearly.

And I can't forget the painters and prop mistresses. They are doing a lot of work done in secret. And of course the musically talented who bring their voices and skills to the job!

So again, here I am at the end feeling like I haven't done "any work" I didn't drill much last night. And I didn't sew one stitch, paint one lick or hunt down one prop but all that stuff got done while I "supervised." I'm trying not to feel useless. What helps me get through is thinking about how God has given all these people different talents to use and that they enjoy working for the Lord.

3 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

the only thing I'm worred about is you need to have a freaky last practice that everyone is off and can't sing a note and forgets their lines - so on opening night (ahem) I mean Sunday it will be PERFECT!
Break a Leg for Jesus Saturn Road.

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those of us who can sew costumes or build stages or sing or whatever are truly grateful for that one talented person who is able to envision the whole process, know all the details, get the right people involved and keep all the balls in the air at the same time. Organizing something like a VBS production is SO completely beyond my abilities that I am in awe of anyone who can do that.

I am not worthy!!!

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

You belong in Branson. Or Vegas. Or Broadway.

Or doing exactly what you're doing. Sounds great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters