Wednesday, May 10, 2006

SHAZAM!

Ok so it's been over a month since I annoyed you all with a discussion of Comic Books. But I have to do so because today I had an apostrophe about what Hero I truly am. As cool as it be I am not a Brooding Batman, a Boyscout like Superman, Patriotic like Capt. America. I'm dangerously close to the quick-witted-scientific Spiderman, but no I'm.... SHAZAM!.... Captain Marvel!

Captain Mavel
"Earth's Mightiest Mortal"
True Name: Billy Batson
Powers: From his magic word "SHAZAM!" An acronym for the 6 powers he has.
S - Solomon's Wisdom
H - Hercules' Strength
A - Atlas' Stamina
Z - Zeus's Power/Magic
A - Achilles' Courage
M - Mercury's Speed

History: Created in the Golden Age of comics his origin is contemporary to that of Superman and the other old timers. Although less well known than Superman he is his physical match if not stronger due to his lack of weakness like Superman's kryptonite and magic problems.

Billy Batson is a young boy who is granted magical powers by the Wizard Shazam to fight for justice (at least a child's understanding of justice). When he says his magic word he transforms into Captain Marvel (the spitting image of his murdered father). So therein lies his appeal to comic readers, a child with the strength of an adult.

Well I still feel like Billy Batson. Just a kid who suddenly finds he has the power and responsibility of a grown up. I would rather play XBox 360 than pay my bills but SHAZAM! I'm suddenly an adult. I may be able to bend steal and drive a car but I'm just masquerading as an adult.

7 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

But do you fight for naive justice?ยก Watch out for Karmang the Evil, or you might just have to battle Superman! You'd win, but who wants to go to the effort?

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger The Root said...

Have you heard they're making a Shazam! movie?
Seriously, check it out. It's being directed by Peter Segal, which doesn't bode well in my book.
But, I'll see what I can do to get your name in the running. :)

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

If any of you have a few minutes I'd love to talk about the transforming appeal of giving birth to SHAZAM!

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stamina is now a superpower? Seriously? Must come in handy for Longsuffering Boy or Persevervant Man. Can you get into a staring contest with Superman's heat vision? Stamina... Congratulations.

I heard somewhere that if you have stamina that lasts more than four hours that you should consult a physician. You might want to reconsider.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had no idea that SHAZAM stood for something. Is abracadabra an acronym, too?

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

I'm not a fan of the golden sash... And the cape looks a bit retro-Arabian. But he obviously spends some time on those leg machines at the gym.

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if Shazam has an Achilles heel like Achilles? And Zeus had this pride problem going on. Soloman was wise, but it didn't keep him from doing stupid stuff. I need to read more comic books. This guy could be a wonderful mix of conflicting emotions. I was jaded by a bad Saturday morning show by the same name when I was a child. A kid and his uncle riding around in a mobile home keeping the world safe. It just didn't work for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters