Monday, May 08, 2006

House Warming Party

Cece organized a "Pounding" aka "Housewarming" for me last night. It goes by many names but I cracked the code, it is all slang for "Shower." I've never been to a shower before and for my first one to by my own was a little odd. We even had CofC punch (white grape and 7up this time).

First and most important, a BIG thank you to everybody who came and brought gifts and cookies and stuff. I'm happy to be at a church that is so welcoming and cool.

Secondly, a shower is embarrassing. If you read my last Birthday post (or if you know me) you know I don't really feel comfortable receiving gifts. I told people for years my Birthday was 9-11 so they wouldn't throw a party. Anyway... a shower is basically a lot of gift giving. I'm am very grateful for all the stuff I was given (because I really do need that stuff for my empty house) but the embarrassing part is opening all the gifts in front of a crowd of people.

Well, so here I am opening all these gifts and cards and what not. And I'm told I have to read all the cards. So now I'm reading 50 different ways hallmark has to say "Congrats on your new home." And it turns out they make 50 different cards for this occasion. Isn't that amazing? 50 different cards for a new home! What times we live in, right. About halfway through I picked up a card and read my name on the front and said, "Oh, look, another one for me." That was basically the high water mark.

I was taken back by how much people seem to like me here at Saturn Road. Perhaps I think everyone feels the same way about me that I do; That I'm a fraud. But at least I'm a fraud with a new casserole dish.

Again, thanks everybody for all the thoughtful stuff! And its not too late to give! ;P (But don't make me open in front of an audience.)

3 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess we women grow up knowing that we will be facing several of these ordeals: bridal, lingerie, baby, perhaps house-warming, etc. We are mentally prepared, and to some degree trained as to how to behave. We learn how to eat little nibbley things off of plates balanced on our knees, and other such bizarre social rituals. Throwing you in there like that was a little cruel.

But it was VERY entertaining. I enjoyed it immensely.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I've discovered that women tend to spread the showers around, I think that it is in the cause of fairness: they haveto do it, that means we should too. It's like club initiation.

 
At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not a shower unless there are towels and stuff. Anyway, rrom one fraud to another (cough cough) congratulations on your new home. (I bet Hallmark didn't think of that one yet). I can't wait for your first casserole.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters