Thursday, November 17, 2005

Junk in my office

Ok so my office collects junk all on its own. But last night it had help. Somebody (I suspect my sister) left a poster in my office. It is from the POV of Joseph and he his weighting the pros and cons of a decision.

On one side there is a list: Reasons not to marry
* Not my child
* Shame
* Embarrassment
* Gossip
On the other side is: Reasons to marry
* God says so! - (This choice is circled by Joseph.)

When you first see this thing you eye is drawn to "Reasons to Marry - God Says so." So "Ha ha!" I'm single. Good one. I chalk up this bad joke to "misery loves company". (When my mother does it it's a grandchild addiction, more understandable.)

Unfortunately this poster doesn't really apply to me. Joseph had a fiance. (I don't even have a girlfriend.) The Apostle Paul said it is better not to be married. It frees you up for ministry, but nobody wants to hear that. They all want to believe I want to be married. I'm undecided. All I can say for sure is I don't want to marry any of the girls I've had a chance to thus far.

But I can make you this promise: If God impregnates my girlfriend I will marry her (if he asks me to.)

7 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

That last line deserves a poster all of its own. It could be like one of those motivational posters, with a serene nature scene...with those words at the bottom:
PROMISES-
I can make you this promise: If God impregnates my girlfriend I will marry her (if he asks me to.)

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger James said...

It seems like everyone in your family is desperate to marry you off. You have writeen several posts about it.

What's up with this?

Do they apply the same pressure to Travis? To cousins of yours? Stangers?

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Speaking as the cousin - yes they do. We have equally opportunity harrassment in our family. :)

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Yes, I know "equally" should be "equal". I do have some knowledge of the English language - my typing just got ahead of my brain.

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am perfectly fine with your remaining single. It keeps you more available for spontaneous "game" nights, my kids soccer games, movie nights, lunch on Sundays, etc. And you have more money available for buying cool toys that I can play with if I wish. (BUT I still have the primo Lego collection.)

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Wezie said...

You can't really decide whether or not to get married - it just happens when you have fall in love with someone and decide that you can't live without each other...That's the key....apparently you have not fallen in love yet....when you do I will be first in line at Crate and Barrel to check out your registry....I still think you should wait about ten years and marry Rebekah..but of course, by then YOU will be old...

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger The Root said...

Yikes. Being pressured to marry while still in your mid-twenties?
Getting married as young as I did should be considered a fluke, NOT the norm. I was 22! When people in New York find out how young we are and when we got married, they're shocked. People in the north don't get married until their thirties.
And "God says so"?
Oy.
On the other hand, it is a really good sign that others care about you so much that they want you to be happy. It's just a little screwed up that they can't accept the idea of a single guy being happy with the way he is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters