Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Do that funny thing you do!

"Hey you're Trey, do that funny thing you do."

This phrase has haunted me for years. 1st - I don't have an act or a set bunch of jokes I do. I just respond to the situation. So asking me to perform will likely leave me nothing but the famous "Hokey Pokey Dance." Also, who are these people that I have to entertain them? Am I just here to amuse you? At best I amuse myself.

I think my wanting to amuse those around me is not always altruistic. Sometimes it is purely self-serving, and others who find it enjoyable are just collateral damage in such a situation. (My primary goal being to entertain myself.)

A kid and his mom at church were talking to someone else at church. I was just sitting and listening to them. The kid said, "Trey, are you bored?" The mom jumped in, "No, he's not bored, only boring people are bored. And Trey isn't boring."

I think this is true. People who complain of being bored often bring nothing to the table to keep themselves entertained. They expect others to cater to them and make their lives entertaining.
That is why most of my humor is self-serving, let those boring people fend for themselves. I've been subject to many "Fun-Sponges" they just absorb what you bring. If they can't see to find fun in any circumstances then forget 'em.

For example, at a recent wedding I made bets with a friend of mine about what ice cream toppings people would chose. Or if at a funeral, I often entertain myself by thinking how i would repel a ninja invasion that might interrupt the eulogy.

I've also been blessed with some really fun people in my life. People who make work out videos featuring only a phone book. People who agree to boxer shorts tuxedo combo.

On time James and I were listening to music really loud in our dorm. One roommate emerges with bedhead and asks us to turn it down, "Lump" was playing. With a straight face I say, "No problem." I reach over and turn the volume down by like 1 click (it was probably on 25-30 clicks, so down by one was only barely noticably softer). The bedhead roommate waits for us to turn it down more then gives up and leaves. Without a comment James reaches over and turns it way up. We laugh, it was really funny for some reason that we were horrible roommates.

5 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

this post is a recycled post from bocks's's's blogs's's's

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger James said...

*Looks around for any sign of Nathan*

Was it Nathan? It was Nathan wasn't it?

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

Yes it was Nathan, our resident Paladin.

Makes me laugh, he was grumpy.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger James said...

You know what, I think you are right.

Being a horrible roommate was funny.

Remember the time the Dorm of Awesome turned into the Dorm of the UN? Remember the delegate from Korea getting so mad at us that he threw a shoe at his bedroom door? He was so mad at us, and he didn't come out to tell us to pipe down.

That was awesome.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

In retaliation the Korean representative took back his toaster from the kitchenette. We could have no more toast! That taught us a valuable lesson about poptarts... they are better cold anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters