Monday, November 07, 2005

Memory

I think my memory is messed up.

Things I can remember:
* The stages of an insects metamorphosis, how chemical bonds are formed, lots of other science facts
* Kids names
* Every line to dozens of movies
* The rules to hundreds of games, my brain just retains rules of all sorts (all the better to twist them with)
* Hundred of Psychological Diagnoses from the DSM-IV
* Scripture
* Lots of what I read from fiction.
* Lots of math equations and theorems
* Basically anything useless.

Things I can't remember:
* More than 50 adults names, the rest are "Aaron's Mom" or "Rachel's Dad"
* Any memory of Lindsey Holder before 1998. (See her blog.)
* Chapter and Verse (I can quote a scripture but if you want to know where it is find a concordance.)
* Very few teachers names... other than: Campbell, Halbach, Edsel, a few Coaches I'd rather forget, nobody from Wedgewood Middle School, nobody from JT Stevens other than Coach Cox and Mrs. Cox. (This is what got me thinking, I can't remember my Freshman or Sophomore teachers names?)
* JRoot and I sat down in Las Vegas and tried to remember our entire senior class and got less than half of them by name. The other were, "You know... that guy who dates what's her name."

So why does my memory work against me so often? At a recent wedding Lindsey was surprised by how few names I could remember and she took offense that I couldn't tell her what year she graduated. I don't get to decide what I remember. I can try and force things in my head but it usually doesn't last longer than a couple of weeks.

Am I the only one who has this problem? I think it is probably a gender issue.

5 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger James said...

Your memory works a lot like a computer's memory. And each person's brain is similar to how they run their personal computer.

If you're like me, you love deleting old files. You feel so fresh and unencumbered.

Usually this is good because only essential data is saved. Everything I have on file is useful, no waste, no lost time sorting through useless data.

But sometimes, I find myself looking for this one document that I had this one time, one day in the past. I can get by without it, but at this one specific moment in time, it would have been nice to have.

Do I really need to remember this? That's the question I ask myself. What about you?

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot what I was going to say.

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when your memory goes just forget it

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

I always remembered phone #'s until the cell phones came along then that went out the window too. What really hurts is I can't remember words to songs and I want to sing along sooo bad. I always thought that is was "A Bathroom on the Right" (that's what I sang) but its "A Bad Moon On the Rise" but that's the most song lyrics I have ever remembered except I Want To Hold Your Hand.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

I'm still shocked, that you have no idea what grade I was in, if I was one year younger, two years younger, etc. That is just crazy. Also, it's "Etzel". C'mon you have to remember Mr. Jewitt, weren't you in his class. What about Mrs. Lee, Mrs. Hackney, Mrs. Obserstein? Umm that's all of JTS random teachers that I can remember, besides my own teachers. One more thing, I did not know a single one of your friends trivias. Did you just write those off of the trivia game, why in the world would you even know the answers to those.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters