Wednesday, September 28, 2005

"Preacher-stories"

A "Preacher-story" is a synonym for lying. Usually with good intentions. Like retelling a story in first person that happened to someone else because it's more dramatic if it happened to you. Or embellishing something. Or telling something that is fabricated as if it really happened.

I've fallen into this trap only I tell "father-stories" sometimes "grandfather-stories." Now some of these I've told so much I can't remember the truth. Basically I invent, steal and retell all sorts of things as if they happened to my father. Usually this takes the form of words of wisdom. I think them up then attribute them to dad. who has his own repertoire of words of wisdom.

Things sound more credible when you start with, "Well, as my father used to say..." or "Well my granddad used to say..."

For example, in a recent staff meeting we were talking about the budget and I said, "Well, as my father used to say about the budget, "Some men see the glass as half full, others half empty, I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be." It got a good laugh, which was nice because my dad didn't come up with that, I did. Is there gray area for dramatic effect when it comes to lying?

There seems to be a comedic blind spot for untruth, "sure you can bend the truth if it get a laugh." Many jokes contain, "Ok, so I was on this train one time and up the aisle comes..." And I guess "preacher-stories" imply that it's ok if you get a spiritual reaction.

I've known some preachers who really avoid this. Like Ken Nellar in Searcy once ended a fabricated story he had told as truth with something to the effect of, "Well, we all know that didn't really happen, but the point is..." I dunno what I'm getting at here. I guess the question is, should I feel guilty?

8 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Joanie said...

yes, GUILT is definitely called for

gut-wrenching, life-encompassing, spirit-filling, eyeball-crossing, mind-numbing GUILT

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Emily said...

In business school, we're taught to leave our guilt emotion at the door. Okay, thats a preacher story in itself - they don't really teach us that, but I don't feel guilty for it so you shouldn't either. :)

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dad always said he could tell something two or three different ways before he would lie about it.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Joanie said. Liar, Liar pants on fire!!!!! At least that is what my old grandpappy used to say....

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it a matter of not believing that your words would carry any weight, therefore you attribute them to someone else? Do you feel wisdom could not be recognized because it is coming from you? Is this because of your relative youth, or just deep-seated insecurity? I happen to regularly find wisdom in the things you say, and I know that they are coming out of YOUR brain/heart. And you are young enough to be my son!
Trust yourself more!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

The first time I tell the story it's:
Well, like so-and-so once said...

The second time I tell the story it's:
Well, just like someone once said...

The third time it's:
Like I always say...

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

I laugh when I find myself saying, "This one is true..."

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Wezie said...

Naw! Words of wisdom are supposed to come from an older generation...you're too young to sound that wise so it's ok to rely on your father or grandfather for credibility.

Did you say it in "grandpa's" voice? The Morgan's love gandpa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters