Monday, September 12, 2005

How do we know it's Monday?

How do we really know it's Monday?

I'll give it to you that our traditional 7 day week is based on the creation account from the Bible involving 6 days of work and one of rest. (And the Sabbath is Saturday, not Sunday people.) But from that time to this how do we know we haven't gotten off a day.

I just think the time scale is too long for people to have not messed up. I mean the yearly calendar we know to be off by at least 4 years. Surely, we dropped day here or there.

I'm sure everyone has had a conversation like this.

Doug: Is it Tuesday or Wednesday?
Arnold: Uhm... it's Monday, Doug.


But what if a bunch of people had the same problem simultaneously and nobody knew the answer?

Doug: Is it Tuesday or Wednesday?
Arnold: Uhm... it's Tuesday Doug.
(But it's really Monday.)
This feeling happens a lot near a bank holiday. You have Monday off so Tuesday feels like Monday. Wednesday feels like Friday. Then the following Sunday feels like Saturday so you have to call in sick Monday and the cycle repeats.

Doug: Is it Labor day or Memorial day?
Arnold: Arbor Day and Boxing Day, baby, four day weekend!

Probably in this digital age these problems won't happen. I'm more worried that we are living based on the mistakes of the past. What about those long periods of history where things were spotty at best, like the Dark Ages?

Doug: What day is it?
Arnold: How should I know I can't see my watch.

Or worse, what if a king made a mistake, and it was like the Emperor's New Clothes, nobody could correct him. It would be Wednesday, but the king thinks Thursday so... so be it!

Doug: Hail King Arnold!
Arnold: Hail yourself, where is my Royal Thursday
Midafternoon Soup? If it is late I'll have to behead someone on Friday!
Doug: Riiight... I'll go ask Jeff about that immediately. For sooth!

And of course there was a lot of BC before we got to the messed up monk's AD years. All that BC stuff could have gone very badly. What if two tribes met up who hadn't seen each other for years?

Doug: Greetings western-dirt-gathering-nomad tribe, is this not a fine
Saturday.

Arnold: Greeting eastern-rock-hunting-nomad tribe, this is not a
fine Saturday, yesterday was. This is Sunday, put on some slacks it's time
for church.

You see?! We have no idea what today is. If today could really be Saturday, I better take the day off just in case.

Does anybody really know what time it is?
Does anybody really care?
- Chicago

Doug: I think ending with a quote from Chicago was a good move.
Arnold: You would, do you still want to get together Wednesday?
Doug: Tomorrow?
Arnold: No, the day after.
Doug: Sure, I guess, but it sounds like somebody's got a "case of the Mondays."
Arnold: At least I know what day it is.
Doug: Do you Arnold? Do you?
Arnold: You just want the last word on the blog don't you.
Doug: Is everything a competition for you?
Arnold: Fine have the last word, I'm waiting.
Doug: (shakes his head)
Arnold: Fine, and forget about getting together Wednesday!
Doug: No skin off my nose, I was busy tomorrow anyway!

10 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Yes, but since we blog and Blogger posts the day and date up top of each post, it's hard to get confused. Have a nice Thursday.

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you ready for some football? Must be Sunday, or Monday, err or Thursday. Wait, is that a college game? must be Saturday, unless it is a bowl game....let's just say
"Does anybody seem to care - about time?
No I can't imagine why. We've all got time enough to die". Gee, I didn't realize these guys were so depressing. Must be Monday.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Wezie said...

As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was
on my watch, yeah
And I said
Does anybody really know what time it is
I don't
Does anybody really care
care
If so I can't imagine why
about time
We've all got time enough to cry
Oh no, no

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and . . . time???

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Joanie said...

Trey,

When the bread turns green, don't eat it. The mold is doing strange (stranger than normal) things to your brain.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

I see you latched onto Chicago and skimmed over the rest of the drivel.

Bread has too many carbs so I only eat the mold now.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

Even if we got off several times, wouldn't we still have a 1 in 7 chance of being right currently?

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

in the yellow submarine there's eight days a week

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now we are off Chicago and onto Bread? Okay, here's one that covers time and freedom:

Mother Freedom
Bread
(by David Gates)
lead vocal David
guitar solo Jimmy

Freedom - keep walkin'
Keep on your toesand don't stop talkin' 'bout
Freedom - get goin'
Lots to be learned and lots to be knowin' 'bout
People - gotta reach 'em
Sit 'em right down and then you gotta teach 'em 'bout
Freedom - gotta win it
Gotta put yourself smack dab in it
Hey tomorrow
Now don't you go away
'Cause freedom
Just might come your way

Freedom - keep tryin'
People stay alive and people keep dyin' for
Freedom - so don't lose it
Ya gotta understand ya just can't abuse it
Freedom - get movin'
Never gonna stop till everybody's groovin' on
Love for - one another
Callin' some friend and callin' some brother

Hey tomorrow
You're not so far away
Mother freedom
we'll know you well someday

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

Ryan you just blew my mind! Why didn't I think of that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters