Tuesday, June 21, 2005

My Birthday Blog

My Birthday is one week from today, I will be 26 years old. 312 months. 9496.5 Days (leap days add that fraction). 227,916 hours. 13,674,960 minutes. 820,497,600 seconds. Why is that 820 million seconds seems much longer than 9496 days? Perhaps my math is wrong but I doubt it.

If you don't want to read the history of me skipping my birthday skip down to the last paragraph starting with OK: New Plan.

Those who know me know I've long avoided birthday parties and celebrations of this type. I've often been asked, "Why didn't you tell us it's your birthday?" a ew weeks after the date. Its harder than you think to avoid birthdays for a number of years.

It was easy in elementary school to skip it. It was a summer birthday and easily overlooked. I did have to suffer through a "family party." The only upside is that I got a cake in the shape of R2D2 one time. Why do we stop having fun cakes? It doesn't matter, I couldn't eat cake on my diet now anyway.

In Junior High the teacher always made a big deal in home room about your birthday. I thought I was golden because of the summer month thing. But then she sprung the 1/2 birthday thing on a girl born June 1st on December 1st because she had cried when she realized she'd be skipped. I was going to be on the hook but as it turns out June 28th's 1/2 birthday falls over Christmas Break, crisis averted. The teacher forgot and I didn't bring it up.

In high school I tried just keeping the date a secret. Unfortunately this backfired horribly as people just had to figure it out and plan something annoying for the boy who was hiding his birthday. I had to remove the mystery from the event to keep people from planning these type of things.

If you met me at Harding you probably never knew when my birthday was. I'd always respond when asked when it is by saying, "oh it was a couple months ago". That way people felt guilty about missing it and dropped the subject. Or say that "why didn't you tell me?" line. If pressed I'd act hurt and say, "it's really no big deal that you missed it."

If you knew me at ACU I developed a new lie about my birthday. When asked I'd say, "Well, it's September 11th." They'd say "Oh really." And I'd just shrug and say, "Well, you know." This was good, no rational person plans a party for September 11th. I occasionally felt guilty but who am I harming. It was the perfect lie, there was no mystery to stir people interest and no hope a large party.

Well this year all my best laid lies have been shattered by the Saturn Road Bulletin. On the first Sunday of June they printed a Birthday calendar. And lo and behold, there I was sitting correctly on Tuesday, June 28th. What's a boy to do? I guess it's time I gave up hiding it. Like I said, I can't eat an R2D2 cake (even if it's sugar-free its too high in carbs).

Part of the reason I don't like birthdays is I feel guilty accepting gifts. But someone recently said to me that it is unchristian to not accept charity and gifts. We are called to give to those in need and its a cultural thing to honor someone on their birthday. And so if I turn these things down its removing from the giver a chance to give. I still don't really buy that and I'm not technically in need. Although... I do need an ipod. So...

OK: New plan - Best Buy Gift Certificates. An iPod is too expensive to be given as a gift to me. I'd feel horribly guilty. But if I just got a handful of 5, 10 or 20 dollar gift certificates it would be a manageable level of guilt and I could get an ipod and be as cool as Samantha Bingham.

10 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Joanie said...

I'm just feeling sad over this desperate plea for attention. Must be that middle child thing.

Happy Early Birthday, Trey!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Emily said...

We always have a cake for you at VBS cast party! But I understand with the diet its too hard.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

Maggie and I were thinking that for your birthday we'd do something understated...like send you the $40 that we owe you.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

Somebody in Garland run like the wind and hug my boy.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Hmmm... I had gotten you an Ipod, but after reading this I took it back.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger The Root said...

Yeah, yeah, "birthday", whatever....
Did you know that this year is the 25th Anniversary of Sesame Place?!?!

I thought of you, my friend, when I saw the ad up here in NYC.

I'll give you a call next week, bro. :)

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

whatever... you deserve presents, cakes, ice cream (since you don't like sno cones that much) you can have low carb ice cream which is fantastic. have a birthday party, you deserve it! ceeeeeeelebrate good times, come on!

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's an I-Pod?, Happy Birthday, I read all your blogs.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

An iPod is a digital music player. It can hold hundreds of songs and fit in your pocket. Take your whole music collection with you.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Joanie said...

How many songs can you listen to at one time?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters