Thursday, October 02, 2008

Return to Normalcy

What is normal? I've totally forgotten. I've gotten so tilted I think my world view is seriously skewed. It only looks normal to be because I've grown accustomed to the angle.

I was watching a commercial and they were talking about, "Don't worry if you have bad credit! You're approved! Don't worry if you have no legal identity. You're approved. Don't worry if you are upside down on your last loan. You're approved!" I thought it was a spoof of a bad credit company. Some kind of humorous public service announcement warning you not to get into debt with no way out. But it was a real commercial. They really will approve you no matter what.

Bad credit? Approved!
No credit? Approved!
Not alive? Approved!
Zombie? Approved!
From a parallel dimension? Approved!

Of course I'm not living debt free. I've got college loans, credit cards and a mortgage.

And I don't care what you say, a mortgage is debt! There was once a time when people didn't get home loans. They did something we have forgotten about.

"Save."

They should put a piggy bank in a museum next to the dodo and T-Rex. Extinct creatures.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger Jennifer Schroeder said...

A piggy bank for the government would probably be a good thing.

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was given some good advice when I started in the "real world" after college. Pay yourself first. I've changed that a bit, I give to God then pay myself. The 401(k) is an amazing vehicle for those who can take advantage; but for those who don't - put 10% towards a mutual fund and have it auto-drafted out of your account. Don't touch it. That is what banks do with the money we put in, compound interest. The past couple of years have been lean but by dollar cost averaging you will come out way ahead.

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The really hard part about debt is the "but if I don't get it now (even if that means charging it), I will miss this GREAT DEAL!" And we Americans are raised to believe that we deserve it all.

When you do get around to becoming a dad, please teach your children the difference between "need" and "want"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters