Monday, September 15, 2008

Cincinnatus

There was a crisis and in a crisis Rome knew that you needed one person with absolute power calling the shots. So they found a farmer named Cincinnatus and appointed him dictator of Rome. The next day he formed an army. And the following day he lead his hastily constructed army to victory. Sixteen days after being given absolute power of the most powerful nation in the world Cincinnatus resigned his post. He gave up total power.

I think we need more dictators. One person sure can get some stuff done if he has the power to make people fall in line. Lets face it. Any course of action will have its detractors. If you wait for universal consent nothing will every get done democratically.

2 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, and I should be the guy. Kiss my ring you loyal subjects or die!!!!

Oh, sorry. The power went to my head.

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But I think you will agree that Cincinnatus was a VERY unusual individual. How many of us, if handed the reins of absolute power like that, would be willing to relinquish?

I agree that a 'benevolent dictator' is by far the most efficient and effective means of government. But the 'benevolent' part of that is extremely difficult to come by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters