Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Dream I Had Last Night

I'm a grown man but for some reason I'm also a baby. I've forgotten much of my past and am relearning things like how to talk coherently and many fine motor tasks.

Me and the other adult-toddlers have made macaroni art because our parents are coming to visit the government facility we're being held in. They demonstrate what we've learned and it ain't much. Are parent's are hopeful, my mother cries when "the boss" (who I can't see the face of) says "They may never get back who they used to be."

The other toddlers are dumber than me. Only I can understand parts of what the grown-ups are saying. Things about a virus and terrorists. About us having used to be able to talk and run and dance and things.

I become angry because I realize what I've lost. A woman named Correy rings a bell at me and I get disoriented. When I wake I have regressed. I can't walk as well or talk as well. But I put it together that the people here are purposefully keeping me stupid.

I make attempts to blend in with the other infants. I notice that if any begin to flourish and regain intelligence they have that bell rang at them and become droolers again.

I drool but I think and think of a way out. Then salvation appears, "the boss" is coming in for a visit. And it turns out to be my brother-in-law Fred. He'll help me!

Only he looks me in the eye and says, "You're not telling anybody now, are you?" Dominoes in my brain fall into place. I learned a secret about Fred and he's desperate to keep me from spreading it.

Fred makes sure none of us are wising up then tells Corry that before the next parent evaluation there will be a sad regression. We'll all get dumber still and they'll have to try "a different theory." And then they can start letting some of us pass away, starting with me.

I only have until the weekend when my parents show up to do something or they'll hit me again with the bell and disguise my death as a result of this virus.

My only advantage is being able to learn faster than the other adult-toddlers.

Step one plug my ears and get into the kitchen which is guarded by bell machines, security is pretty lax because we are all idiots. Step two get some kind of proof. Then I find something better. The virus... Fred exposed me too it. Maybe I can return the favor... but then I'd never know what happened... I have to get out...

Correy enters the kitchen to find a grown-toddler holding a hypodermic needle. I begin to fiddle with it like its a toy and then hide it behind my back in a obvious fashion.

"Give me that... you'll hurt yourself."

"No! It's mine!" I clutch it to my chest.

"Trey, I'll trade you for a cookie." Apparently Toddler Trey is easily tempted with food.

I hold it out and look excited. She approaches trying to mask her anger at me. When she gets close I jab her in the arm with it and push down the plunger.

She falls unconscious. When she wakes she'll be one of us. One of the toddlers she abused.

I have to get out of here. But everything is locked. I open the fridge and the phone rings....

I wake up... because the phone is my alarm clock.



There are a lot of unanswered questions:
* What did I learn about Fred?
* What there really a Virus attack?
* Where there even really terrorists?
* Can I get out of the hospital?
* Can I extract revenge?
* What about the other patients? They'll die soon... and what did they know that was too dangerous?
* Can I fully recover?
* Will I dream part 2 or be foreced to come up with my own ending?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a really great counselor/therapist who helps interpret dreams. It would be worth the $160/hour to find out what this one means. Call me and I will give you his number. I might even be willing to help pay for the session if you will tell me what you learn about it!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

He killed it... he is blogging NO more! Sad, I know!

Can't wait till thurs.

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Emily said...

That is an awesome dream. I wish we knew the ending!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters