Monday, April 07, 2008

Reflection following Baby Blessing and Trey wearing a suit

We blessed 30 babies last night! 30! This church has been blessed, in fact there were more babies but some of them couldn't make it.

I put on my monkey suit to do my part. Its easier than getting dirty looks from old people. Unfortunately its all I heard about for a few hours. How nice you looked in a suit. Why don't you always where a tie? I didn't know you could clean up so good? You look like a grown up, good for you. Trey, is that you?

Let me translate: God likes you more when you play dress up.

I'm tired of feeling like Church is a fancy seafood restaurant with a dress code. If that's the case would should have a loaner coat and tie at the door for people. I adhere to a much softer, friendlier set of rules. Church should follow the 7/11 example: No shoes. No shirt. No service.

There's a dress code I can understand and get behind! Come as you are!

Yes, I know I look amazing in a suit. I'll give you that one. But what image am I trying to send? I got so many compliments last night I'm afraid I caused women to sin lustfully and men to sin jealously. I'd much rather come to church looking to the kids like what their dad's wear on Saturday afternoon.

Besides, ties have no evolutionary purpose. Is there somebody out there who is really cold right down the middle of their chest?

A final anecdote to prove my rant: I went to Bible Hour to make sure things went well after church. My nephew, Maddox (who I call Legend), was there running around. Usually when he sees me he is happy to and runs over to me. But not last night in my monkey suit. I called out, "Legend!" He smiled real big and started looking around for me. Unfortunately I was standing right in front of him. He didn't recognize me in that get up. He actually ran around to me to look for me!

I'll keep my one coat and tie for now... for now...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just old enough that I don't want people wandering into services wearing cut-offs and t-shirts with the sleeves missing. But I am perfectly comfortable with all the women wearing slacks (or even dressy jeans) on Sunday mornings and the guys wearing slacks/jeans and polo shirts. I think we should look like we care enough to be clean and neat, but the dress/pantyhose and suit/tie thing is a bit much too be 'required'.

But with all that said, I am sorry I missed getting to see you in a suit. I am sure I have seen it before, but I have no memory of it. I promise I would have kept the 'lusting' under control.

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's kind of weird; but after all these years working in law firms, I can remember hating wearing a suit. Casual Fridays were such a relief and then they morphed into professional casual attire all the time. I sort of miss wearing the suit now. I've got a drawer full of ties that will probably never see the light of day again. The past 2 years at Christmas, my Mom has made throw pillows for my older brother and younger sister using my Dad's old ties for the quilt top. It is amazing seeing those ties and remembering events that long ago went to sleep in my subconscience.
Anyway, wearing a suit was always an easier way to get dressed each day. And you didn't have to iron as much. It also helped me keep my weight under control. I didn't want to outgrow an expensive suit.
I wonder if they will make a comeback? Naaaaa

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger stacey4 said...

Stop complaining about getting compliments....its a nice thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters