Tuesday, March 04, 2008

H2BS: Huey Lewis Saved My Life (Honorable mention to The News)

(Mrs. Hey Man mentioned my hair cut and that got me thinking.)

Huey Lewis Saved My Life (Honorable mention to the News)



I was recently in a very receptive state and fate shined on me and the Huey Lewis and the News song "Hip to be Square" played 5 times in one weekend.


I then bought it on iTunes. After long hours meditating to the message of H2BS I decided to change my life.


Here are some quotes and changes they inspired in my life.


1) "I used to be a renegade, I used to fool around / But I couldn't take the punishment, and had to settle down" - First line right out of the box! I feel it. The world has broken me finally, I'm more willing to conform.


2) "I'm working out most everyday and watching what I eat / They tell me that its good for me, but I don't even care" - This is now true for me as well, I'm averaging 7 hours of working out a week. Take that! I'm also eating better. And like Huey, its not really just about the health benefits, its about being a part of the health club scene.


3) "Now I'm playing it real straight, and yes I cut my hair" - Self-explanatory. Also, long hair at the gym is like jogging will wearing wet mop as a hat.


4) "But don't you try to fight it; 'An idea who's time has come.' " - Take my advice, never question the collective will of your culture. They enjoy hammering down the proud nails and it hurts. I'm waving the white flag, I feel like a rat sometimes. Then I feel the warm acceptance of my culture, that comforting feeling that most of my thinking has already been done for me. Also, I can fit into my fat jeans again. (I have 4 categories of jeans: svelt, chunky, fat and morbid.)


Are these changes permanent? Some prolly, some prolly not.


One of the places I heard H2BS during that fateful weekend was in the movie "American Psycho" here is a quote from said movie. (Bear in mind the man saying this is getting ready to go crazytown with an ax.)


"In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself. "


And now, I feel like H2BS is a personal statement about me as well. Thanks Huey.


You might think I'm crazy, but I don't even care
Because I can tell what's going on
It's hip to be square

6 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Great post! I loved your wet mop hat comment. Definitely laughed out loud over that one...

Yes! I'm so glad you're on for my RV Trip. Now we just need to find five more people to join in the adventure!

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Working for a living" is in my ear constantly now; especially when you do a duet with Garth Brooks. Count me in the Huey Lewis is good column. His cameo in Back to the Future was pretty funny.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger karen b said...

80's music rulez

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

on sesame street they do H2BS. It is a cartoon music video with a bunch of actual squares dancing and singing. You would love it! My kids do:)

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Maggie! I LOVE that Sesame Street H2BS bit!

They also do the ZZ Blues: a Muppet Band that looks/sounds like ZZ Top, singing about the letter Z. (They all end up asleep on their feet, and the air is full of Z's. It is a riot!)

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Great post Trey. Very funny and very sad at the same. I can't picture you as a conformist, but what can you do?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters