Monday, February 11, 2008

Let's keep in touch (Pt. 2)

While in Abilene last week I ran into an old friend (but I don't mean old, she's young, old is just an expression). I hadn't seen here since I graduated from ACU in 2004. Anyway, she said she had taken stock of her life and had thought of me. (I was somewhat stunned because I don't usually make the highlight reals of attractive girls lives.)

What she remembered is when we parted ways she had said something like, "Let's keep in touch."

And i had said something like, "I'd love to, your awesome and everything but I don't see it happening." Wait, don't overreact, it wasn't that mean. I've said this before to many people. Here is a paraphrase of my typical response.

You're awesome, I'd love to hang out and be BFFs but lets face it... I'm moving aways/your moving away and I'm not that good at keeping up communication at long distances. You are of course welcome to take up the cross of being my friend and put in the effort, for which I will be eternally grateful, but for me out of sight = out of mind. I just want to be honest, which I think is better than promising to stay in touch, then not doing so, which leads to hurt feelings. I would never intentionally shun you. BUT Should our paths ever cross again, I'll hang with you any night of the week. Rock on.

So, she took stock of her life, remembered my honesty and was able to appreciate it 4 years down the road, even if she didn't initially. Of course our paths did cross again and she is now one of my limited facebook friends.

Of course, with the creation of facebook (and this blog residual) levels of contact. "Let's keep in touch" got a lot easier. Now I can just say, "You're free to read my blog."

Well, that's me and I don't see myself changing.

Read: Let's Stay in Touch Part 1 Here. - Ok, I just read Pt. 1 from 2005 and sure enough her name was on the list of people I regretted falling out of contact with. Maybe facebook will save us all.

2 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I traditionally was terrible at keeping in touch with people. I have been substantially better in the last few years, because when I think of someone and wish to have contact, I will zip off an email. I always hating calling people out of the blue because phone calls are so 'interruptive'. And snailmail letters were just too much trouble (find a pen, paper, envelope AND stamp, get it to a mail box... ugh). So I have found that I have really 'kept' a lot of friends that I have met in the last several years because of the availability of email.
But I still 'lose' a lot of people.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Just went back and looked at Part 1...Matt Ellis...whatever happened to him? Were you better at keeping in touch, this might be a valuable question to ask. However I am pretty sure your answer will be the same as mine: "No Idea!"

Where's Ty when you need him?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters