Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Addiction

When I worked at the Abilene Psychiatric Center I was privileged to attend an Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meeting for all 1st timers. It was very uncomfortable. Most of the people there were court appointed to attend.

Anyway, the host does his little schpeel about addiction and the 12 steps all the while the alcoholics are rolling their eyes and mumbling under their breath. Then comes the time when they wanted people to talk.

A parole officer told all of them they had to say something (even though the host didn't like it). Anyway they all got up and said the exact things you'd think an alcoholic would say:
"I'm not addicted alcohol."
"I can quit drinking anytime"
"I enjoy it, it's not a big deal."
"I can control my drinking"
"I don't have a problem but you guys sure do."

Ok, what's funny is that when ever someone else was trying to rationalize away their problem everyone in the room could see through their line of Bologna (yes I had to sing the song to spell that). But when it was their turn they said the same stuff. The host later told me that this is an important step. They have to witness everyone else in denial using the same excused they do before they realize they are in denial.

Transition to state of the union: "The United States are addicted to oil."
During both the Democrat and Republican responses to this (and even more so on talk radio this morning) you hear the mating call of the addict in denial:
"I'm NOT addicted to oil!" - Talk Radio this morning
"We can quit using oil tomorrow." - Guy on channel 13 after the speech.
"I enjoy using gas, it's a choice, I'm not addicted, it's not a problem." - "Larry" from Dallas, talk radio last night.
"We can control our use of fossil fuels." - Democratic rebuttal.
"I'm not addicted to oil, the Bush administration is." - John Kerry, Last Night!

Ok so some of those quotes aren't perfect because I didn't have a pen. But the truth is they reminded me so strongly of those AA people it was scary. I for one do believe we are addicted to oil and that it will be a big problem in the future: either because of our dependence on Saudi oil, or when it runs out in 30 years (actual estimates range from 15-40 years!)

Well, if you want to rant and rave and try to say you are not an addict by all means post a comment. But you'll just look like an addict in denial.

Project Nonconformity - Update
Starting Tomorrow you will be called to go out into the world but not conform to it. The early tasks will be brief, financially negligible and simple - to build up confidence. Those afraid to participate are cowards of the highest order. Those who join the revolution shall party with me in paradise tomorrow! (Although not actually tomorrow, don't worry it's not a suicide mission.)

9 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Emily said...

My name is Emily, and I am an addict.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also addicted to air, water, and sunshine.
I am a pretty big consumer of natural resources and not too concerned about it running out. Is an apology enough?
Linda C

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

My name is Mary L. and I am an addict and I was burning it at 71 mph yesterday at 5:26 pm on I20 heading West according to the officer.

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started working at home to help me with my substance abuse problems. Are you also telling me I should stop driving to church on Wednesday nights? Does GaryB know you said this?

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Joanie said...

are you going to make us drink some of that special cool aid?

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

I'm thinking about a hybrid...

Hey, why are there so many q's in the letter verification field? I'm pondering this...

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is oil to be had if the environmentalists would get out of the way. But the best thing is to have the price high so there is money worth spending in new technology. Hey, maybe we will even build a new refinery! Since we haven't done that in what, 30 years? Let's face it, if gasoline was a dollar a gallon, who would care if we were importing it from OPEC? I'm hoping for a new hydrogen fuel car in the next decade. And then watch the OPEC cartel squirm.

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this make you wonder why Fort Worth is building a toll road to handle more automobiles instead of building a light rail system? We are not just using up the oil; we are also making the air unfit for human consumption. We may have admitted our wrongs, i.e. dependence on oil (Step 5), but are we ready to have this defect removed (Step 6)? I don't think that God gave us this world so we could trash it out.

James C.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Amen! Build a better rail system...perhaps one that goes to Southlake so that if i get this job I won't have to drive there every day!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters