Friday, January 20, 2006

The Thirst: January Review

Vampires thirst blood. Mere humans thirst for water. Fish... may not ever be thirst. But me, I thirst for knowledge. I surf the net, I read blogs and magazines. But the only thing that really calms my bloodlust for information well is books. I'm addicted.

Here is an incomplete list of the books I've bought thus far in 2006. (I say incomplete because it is based mostly on my amazon account, but I usually buy one or two other books at local store each week.)
January Review [%Completed]
1) The Postmodern Parish: New Ministry for a New Era ~[0]
2) Generations : The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069 ~ [5]
3) The Fourth Turning ~ [10]
4) Mathematics in a Postmodern Age: A Christian Perspective by Howell, Russell [10]
5) The Preacher, Graphic Novels Vol 2-7 [100] (I bought vol. 1 in December)
6) Astonishing X-Men Vol 1: Gift ~ (Another TPB) [100]
7) 13th Gen : Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail? [0]
8) NLP: The New Technology (This is about a kind of conscious hypnosis.) [10]
9) The ABC of Handwriting Analysis [40]
10) Grand Master SuDoKu (Not really a book book but I guess I counts) [5]
11) The Zombie Survival Guide [10]
12) The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Vol 1: The Amulet of Samarkand (Children's fantasy book) [0]
13) The Dante Club [0]
14) American Pastoral [0] (This one won the pulitzer but I will prolly read the Zombie guide first)
15) And a bunch of comic books - I regularly buy 3-5 a week (Batman, JLA, X-Men, Spidey, Avengers, and anything that looks interesting) [100]
16) I have a subscription to Discover Magazine [50-75, monthly]
17) I'm sure I'm forgetting something -

As you can see I got on a graphic novel and generational/postmodern theory kick.

The real problem here is I tend to buy more books than I can read in a given month. I ready pretty quick and fairly often. I have dozens of "active" books in little piles all over the house. The books I bought before then that are on the "fast-track" to completion include:
1) Postmodern Children's Ministry [50]
2) 100 Years of Solitude [75, but lost somewhere its kind of sad to imagine this book all alone somewhere]
3) Finding Darwin God [60]

I can't help myself, I don't have cable, I don't have dog, I don't have enough bookshelf space. I can see by looking at this list that it is possible I bought more books this month than many of my friends will read in an entire year. Here is the scary thing: This isn't an uncommon month and it ain't over yet.

I have the Thirst, I have the Disease. But the cure for the thirst is the primary cause of the next set. One book references another.

Looking back at my Amazon information. It appears the first thing I bought was back in 2001, a present for my niece Madison. It was a Barbie Inflatable End Table. I wonder if it has popped because I don't see it at their house. While I'm logged in I better see what Ms. Amazon will suggest I buy today... she knows me so well.

9 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger The Root said...

There are far worse things to be addicted to.
Cheers.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger James said...

Send me the Strauss and Howe books when you are done.

I'm on the same generational kick.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger holly said...

Hooray for book addicts. No shame in that at all! Before we bought two new bookshelves I had a stack in the corner that was waist-high and two or three deep. Of course, I'm also in a job that gives me access to lots and lots of free books...a deadly combination.

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read your blog

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

When do you have time for Fresh Prince re-runs?

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Jennifer Schroeder said...

one can NEVER have too many books.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironic you say Vampires thirst for blood. I've been reading the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice recently. They are everywhere it seems! O+'s unite!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger karen b said...

and i'm reading The Historian, which is also about vampires

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you hate it when uppity types spell it Vampyres? I have a hard time reading with an english accent, don't you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters