Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Talking to Old People

First if you haven't already signed onto the MANDATORY SOUND OFF post do so now.
I am trying to get some idea of who actually reads this blog. Don't worry, I'll wait here until you get back.

Ok, for those who are already on the list you may read on at your own risk.

Today I have been asked to speak at the CCC (Christian Care Center). They only want about 7 minutes of devotional but what do I give them. I'm used to speaking with children 12 and under, not those 80+.

I've considered shareing some stories from my maternal grandfather's time in WWII. Stories I found out after his death that he only told to me. He didn't get into any combat stories (if he had any) nor any negative aspects of war. His stories to me were all about being the smartest man in his unit. (Read smartest as "trickiest" as many involved getting out of bad work.)

Then transition into "Tell your story." Empowering them to share their lives and how God has shaped their lives. If it goes well I might type in a transcript.

But this blog should be more about my inability to "t a l k s l o w l y." I tend to get excited and speed up. I think I need someone with a big YIELD sign in the back ready to flag me down.

10 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

I'm still checking my old e-mail address but my primary e-mail address is now:

rinlow@fpcofc.org

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, this might be harsh; but is there much difference between 12 year olds and folks in the CCC? Nevermind.
I would use one of the following: 1) talk about hope. I've never been in a nursing home that they didn't want to sing songs about hope (Some glad morning, when this life is over, I'll fly away, fly away). or
2) the Greatest Generation speech. This group of people sacrificed so much in order for the free world to embrace democracy. Compare to Jesus's sacrifice so the world could embrace him.
My 2 cents. Go get em, Tiger. I call Twins on you. Pick 1 card.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

No not TWINS!
Jihad! I'll get you back with a trips!

Ryan - I should pick your brain for preaching advice before you get too big for me to talk too.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

Well... I'm back from the CCC. It went pretty good. I did it to two different groups. Both were recieved ok. Some didn't pay attention, some talked and some were asleep before I started, the rest were asleep before I left. A job well done for a preacher.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet you were very effective. The Seasoned Citizens were blessed I'm sure.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Did you tell a funny anecdote about driving and "Granny Ruth-ing it"? Cause I know that would've been great!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

Definition: "Granny Ruth-ing It"
When you have to partially open your car door to reach an ATM or other drive up convenience.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

Maternal Grandfather = "Big Frank or Big Dad" sometimes. He also stole enough parts to build a jeep to drive around North Africa before he departed WWII (which he had to abandon on a dock to head back to the states).

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stalker and proud of it

Alice McD

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

Preaching Rule #72 Always leave them wanting more.

Preaching Rule #4 There is no such thing as talking too fast, only listening too slow.

Preaching Rule #467 If you can't remember what you're saying, what makes you think they're going to?

Preaching Rule #35 If you take somebody else's sermon and preach it, that's stealing. If you take 2 or 3 sermons and put them together and preach it, that's research.

Preaching Rule #860 Text without context is pretext.

Preaching Rule #96 Never underestimate the power of transition sentences.

Preaching Rule #1 Right before you start, pray for God to take over, and then throw out all the rules.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters