Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Twelve Blogs of Christmas, Part IX: Christmas Myths

9 Christmas Myths
I'll give you the good news and the bad news.

9) poinsettia Plant are poisonous - Not true. The only documented case of this happening apparently forgot to mention the pesticides on the plant. So the good news is... you can eat this unattractive, bitter plant if you wash it first.
8) The modern image of Santa Claus was created by Coca-Cola - Well this is just silly. Pictures of Santa have been painted and drawn for years become Coke got a hold of him. Just a examples. In 1804, the New York Historical Society was founded with Nicholas as its patron saint, its members reviving the Dutch tradition of St. Nicholas as a gift-bringer. On Christmas Eve of 1822, another New Yorker, Clement Clarke Moore, wrote down and read to his children a series of verses; his poem was published a year later as "An Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas" (more commonly known today by its opening line, "'Twas the night before Christmas") There are hundred of other example of Pre-Coke Santa. The bad news is... once Santa got on Coke he stopped sleeping and alienated his friends by always calling them "phonies."
7) The suicide rate increases over the "Holiday Season." It's logical to think that a depressed person would feel worse seeing everyone else so happy. It's logical but wrong. The statistics that are kept by the psych community do not reflect this belief. (There are a similar myth about mother's killing themselves on mother's day, and also a Veterans Day myth). So the good news is... we're just as likely to kill ourselves every day of the year! Hoorah!
6) Jesus was born by "Immaculate Conception" - False. People think this is about Jesus or the virgin birth, but it's is about neither. This Papal Law is about Mary being born free of "original sin." Therefore being chosen at the moment of her conception to the vessel for Christ some 14-18 years later. It was not made official until 1854 by Pope Pius IX. I've changed you view on papal law. The bad news is... I can't do anything to change the "Immaculate Reception."
5) X-mas is an offensive anti-Christian thing. - False (more or less). The Greek letter Chi has long been used as a symbol for Christ. It resembles the English X. This is the origin of the express. But what make me say "more or less" is that some Christian's take offense due to their ignorance of its roots and the bad news is... some people try to use it as an anti-Christians thing for the same reason
4) Candy canes are shaped like a J and have red stripes to repressed Jesus's Blood - This is not true and kind of a gross idea. The good news... nobody is going to offer me a Jesus's Blood popsicle.
3) Three Wise Men - Every year I have to explain to someone that we don't know how many wise men there were only that they brought 3 gifts. As a bonus myth, they likely arrived 2 years later! Because this is the age Herod used to kill all the baby boys 2 years and younger. So take those 3 multi-ethnic dudes out of the manger. The good news is... we have Biblical mandate for extravagant gift giving.
2) The Day after Thanksgiving is the Biggest Shopping Day of the Year - Not true. Called Black Friday due to businesses getting "out of the red." Although everyone says this is true it doesn't make it so. Here are the "just the bottom line" most money spent day for the past decade.
2004: Saturday, Dec. 18
2003: Saturday, Dec. 20
2002: Saturday, Dec. 21
2001: Saturday, Dec. 22
2000: Saturday, Dec. 23
1999: Saturday, Dec. 18
1998: Saturday, Dec. 19
1997: Saturday, Dec. 20
1996: Saturday, Dec. 21
1995: Saturday, Dec. 23
1994: Friday, Dec. 23
1993: Thursday, Dec. 23
So Christmas is related to the "biggest shopping day of the year." It seems that Saturdays will reign supreme (the only exception to this is Christmas Eve Eve shopping in the early 90s). Why do we think Black Friday is the biggest? Because that's when Soccer Mom's shop. But it turns out unprepared men shop later and spend more money! Take that Target Wake up calls! The good news is... unprepared men are willing to pay more for jewelry for the convenience of not having to think of something thoughtful.
1) Jesus was born on December 25th. - Ok so the Roman did this a lot. They adopted other areas religions and rolled them into their own. But when they decided that Christianity was the way they began paving over other faith's holy days with Christian ones. So what better day than December 25th, the birthday of the Sun God Mithras. People were used to celebrating on that day and most could be convinced to switch allegiances to gods than move their calendar. (This also happened with Easter, Eostre goddess of the spring, she'd eat rabbits and give eggs. Also with the old New Years Day April 1, becoming April fools day.) The good news is... nobody seems to care.
Did I miss a myth? I'd hate to make a mythstake.

10 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger James said...

This is totally off topic.

This weekend I had a dream that Trey won the lottery and bought eight of the exact same car.

The make and model of the car was made up. I guess I dreamed up the car as well, but it resembled muscle cars of the 70's.

I was going to ask Trey if I could borrow some money to start my own business, but I woke up before I got a chance.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

If I won the lottery I'd give you a loan dude. And I'm now adding 8 of the exact same care. I'll call them Sunday, Monday... Saturday, and the Eigth I'll call Leap Day.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

I need more details about the X in Xmas. I got a rabid born again lady here that hates it because it 'crosses' out Jesus in Christmas. echh. Isn't there more to the X deal? Hebrew or Greek maybe.
I like the Reception part, I had never heard that.
I intend to put more Ponsettia fiber in my diet.

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candy canes are shaped like a cane, right? And the red would appear to be marks from a whip more than just blood. Just a thought.
I think the suicide rate corresponds with the lousy college bowl games, not the Holiday Season. Screams of "they beat the spread!" can be heard as the poor chump hits the pavement.
I better watch my Coke intake too. Sugar rush!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger stuckinthe80s said...

Man, I am SO glad that Trey Laminack has a blog...and even gladder that I found it!

And wow, your blog is for smart people...of which I am not one. But I'll keep reading nonetheless!

Peace!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger James said...

Sweet.

I know you didn't win the lottery, but can I have three bucks to start a lemonade stand this summer?

I can garuntee return on your money.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

3 bucks at 7 and a quarter, a 30 year note... lets see you'll end up paying me 18.50 to start your business.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger James said...

his sounds good.

But there is someting I need to discuss with you.

The last lemonade stand I started, the investors were always showing up, telling what color paint to use with my sign, how much sugar to use, wether or not to spell "lemonade" with one backwards "e" or two. I couldn't get anything done.

Suggestions are welcome, but, well, you know what I'm saying.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

I remember the kid who asked me, "Is it true that Santa and Jesus are related?"

Boy, what do they think I am, the Bible answer man or something? Since Santa and Saint share etimology I felt comfortable telling him, "Well, even if they aren't they're real close friends."

Check my site today...

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm launching a new Christmas candy. Chocolate covered Virgin Mary's. The name you ask? The Immaculate Confection.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters