Monday, November 28, 2005

Mr. Collins

Mr. Collins past away Friday. The obit didn't mention his cause of death, but I suspect it was skin cancer. He was a good teacher and will be missed greatly.

Mr. Cambell told me about it on Sunday, he said, "Did you know Mark Collins?" I said no. Then he said he taught at SCS, and I said "Oh, MR. Collins." He always had my respect and taught very well. He wasn't the kind of teacher I remember calling by his first name. His first name to me was Mr.

Mr. Collins was an all-american track star in college. He was going to go to the olympics but it was the year the US boycotted. It always made me angry to think of that, it still does. To miss your shot at the olympics because of politics. But he always took it well, he never seemed bitter. He had accepted it.

Mr. Collins was that rare kind of teacher who was both liked and respected. We need more teachers like him.

3 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That hurts. Ironically, I saw in my old hometown paper last week that my 7th grade football coach had also passed away. I never knew that he had been in the Korean War and a decorated veteran. He was just the coach I didn't want to upset. I wish I'd had a chance to tell him that I was proud of him and that I valued his contribution to my life.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

A memorial donation from a graduate to Southwest Christian might be nice. Our teachers should be honored.

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Man, I didn't know about that. I'll have to tell Kim. I never had him, but I know all of his student sure liked him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters