Wednesday, October 19, 2005

"You smell like old people" & Internet Junk

Judging by posts and emails you people all either think you are young or that my list isn't a true barometer of oldness. Well, all of that is a lot like writing a letter to NBC to keep Pat Sajack on the air: It reeks of oldness.

But on a different matter... I buy a lot of junk off the internet.

Here is one of my latest acquisition:















THE MIGHTY BLASTER! (Mine is blue)

That's right! It shoots smoke rings! It is without a doubt the coolest thing I own other than my PSP. All this and it only cost $30!

Ok... PAUSE YOUR THOUGHTS! What are you thinking right now about this purchase? Write it down before you start lying to yourself about what you think you think.

Ok, I brought this to staff meeting and got a bevy of responses. Most were eye rolls from the old people saying, "Why did you buy that?" (This is the comment that prompted my old people rant.)

"WHY?" Why? What a dumb question. It shoots smoke-rings homes! It's Gandalf on steroids! If you have to ask "Why?" you'd buy something this fun then you are old. The answer to Why is "Because it's cool and I had 30 bucks!" What more reason is there?

Also if you took offense to the cost of the Mighty Blaster, you are old.

Kids who see this thing never respond with "Why?" they only want a turn shooting it! Or to know where I go it so they could get their own (good luck saving the money kids). I'm happy that I haven't forgotten how to have fun.

Perhaps having "Faith like a child" may also be linked to "Having fun like a child." You could very easily suck the fun out of a mighty blaster if you think about "Why" or "What I could have done with that money" or "Will it set of the fire alarm." Relax old people! Have a little fun... even if that means going to the fabric store.

(By the way I shot it right at a sprinkler to test it and it didn't set of the alarm.)

6 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

That is so silly and such a waste.

Where can I get one?

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gandalf on steroids made me laugh out loud. Great minds think alike. That was the first thing I thought when I saw the picture. What produces the smoke? Dry ice? Marlboros?

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

Danny - thinkgeek.com. But if you use it in a sermon i want a quote.

Hey man - Actually to give credit Mrs. Hey Man first said, "Gandalf on steroids." The smoke is created like a fog machine. A special fluid is put into a chamber. A wick draws it up near a light bulb that is hot enough to make it into vapor.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Wezie said...

So how much are the replacement bottles of the special fluid? Did you buy a gross of them so that you will enjoy smoke rings indefinitely? It's like buying an Easy Bake Oven and NOT buying the extra box of cookie and cake mixes...Makes for a dissapointing day the second time you go to use the thing and find that the supply of mixes has been depleted...

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Wezie said...

Did that last comment make me sound old?

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving credit where credit is due.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters