Thursday, October 20, 2005

True Youth

To continue my impromptu series on oldness, I'll share some recent events that made even me feel old.

First, I played Brazos in chess and lost. Brazos is 11 and in many ways is much like me at that age. He's very intelligent and willing to let you know it. He's also funny and talks over the heads of many adults. Anyway, we played chess and I lost. I don't like to make excuses but I will anyway. I got way ahead during the early going. I was up like 9 points and controlled the center. Then his mom came into the room and I started talking to her. Then next thing I knew, check-mate. I was stunned and impressed. It goes to show you position and a material advantage don't win the game. He had three pieces and two pawns left but they were all it took. My true mistake was underestimating Brazos. He handled his victory well, once he explained it to his mother. I remember myself at that age and realized I've grown up. I felt old and honestly I demand a rematch.

Secondly, I saw Mary Cate (my youngest niece at church), I picked her up and tickled her. She showed me a green bouncy ball she had, "A ball!" She was excited to have it. I said, "That is a cool ball." She then smiled, then got serious. She wrapped her little hand around the ball in an attempt to hide it (for perspective it would be like an adult trying to hide a tennis ball in one hand). She help out the hand clutching the ball and a closed fist and said, "Which hand?" A game I've played with her before, but now she was in charge. I chose the wrong hand and she said "Noooo!" and laughed her head off. That is youth.

Thirdly, my real estate agent called me again. Having an agent makes me feel old. Although I feel young again when I realize she's frustrated because I haven't done any of my paperwork. Let her fill out the application, she's working for me right?

Another Online Purchase:

















The Marshmallow Shooter

It can rapid fire up to 30 mini-marshmallows! Lots of fun with the added bonus of being edible and sticky.

4 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be cautious...very cautious. Getting a "real job" and having a real estate agent could be signs and could possibly lead to a "pretty nice little Saturday": Trip to Home Depot, Lowes, Paint Store or Fabric Store, Weeding, Shopping online for themed objects for the guest bathroom, also Garden Ridge.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that I'm "older" (but refuse to grow up), here's what I've discovered:

1. I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.
2. My wild oats have turned into prunes and All Bran.
3. I finally got my head together; now my body is falling apart.
4. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...
5. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...
6. All reports are in; life is now officially unfair.
7. If all is not lost, where is it?
8. It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
9. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...
10. Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant.
11. I wish the buck stopped here; I sure could use a few...
12. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...
13. It's hard to make a come back when you haven't been anywhere.
14. The only time the world beats a path to your door is when you're in the bathroom.
15. If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.
16. When I'm finally holding all the cards, why does everyone decide to play chess?
17. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...
18. It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.
19. The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.
20. These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter... I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.
21. Funny, I don't remember being . . . . . absent minded...

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

...you mean you are supposed to 'control the middle' in chess? I just try not to get my good guys jumped.

Mary Cate Mary Cate - what a beautiful name and what a wonderful thing to have that sweet innocence.

I like the kid-friendly marshmellow shooter Mr Childrens Minister.
- Mom

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

Ok Hey Man officially needs his own blog. His response is too good to be left as a reply only.

And yes, controlling the middle is important unless you want to do a weak side gambit but the high risk of a strong side castle defense usually makes this risky early on. (And yes I still lost to an 11 year old.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters