Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Things I'm tired of hearing from tired people.

(First: A reminder to vote on Batman vs. Superman poll posted yesterday.)

Ok, people are not clever. I've come to terms with it. The saddest part is when people think they are clever but are not. We've all heard these same lines prolly, they are just a bunch of cliche's that people tend to think they made up on the spot, but have been around since "dinosaurs roamed the earth" (pardon the cliche).

Things I'm tired of hearing from tired people:

"You have too much time on your hands." Or it's cousins, "Maybe we should get you a job/girlfriend to take up your spare time." - This is just a stupid thing to say. Who are you to judge how I spend my free time. They usually say this to me after I've told them about the origin of the crescent Roll or how air pressure keeps a plane aloft. Just because I know things you don't doesn't mean I have too much time. Perhaps I use my time better, or I just retain information better because I'm not trying to "fill up" my "spare time."

Here's one for those of you who are now or soon will be 16 "Let me know when you'll be on the road and I'll be sure to stay home." - Ok, this is not very funny to begin with and is definitely not funny when it gets said a thousand times. I'd like all 16 year olds to respond with the following, "Let me know when you and your aging reflexes, midlife crisis and cataracts will be on the road, I'll stay at the mall."

"Are you working hard or hardly working." - Ok, thank you for that blast from the past. This phrase is so hackneyed that it's said with a wry smile. It make me want to chuck up my Chunky Monkey Ice Cream. This comment, like the spare time comments, reveals and underlying assumption that the speaker works harder than the victim of this comment. But at least the victim is working when he is assaulted, the speaker is the one who

"That being said..." - Yuck, this is usually used to preempt something rude. "That being said... Jeff has a head like a honeydew melon."

"24/7" - Let's face it, I don't do anything 24/7. Nothing. I mean I breath a lot but if you monitor yourself there is a brief pause between inhale and exhale.

Worse than "24/7" is... "I'm all about..." - Are your really "All about Blogging." or "I'm all about football." If this is true you are one dimensional and very boring. If it is not true you show a weakness for hyperbole or lying.

I've had to purge, "My thing is..." from my focabulary for these same reasons. You should also stop saying "Basically" all the time.

And there is a whole family of annoying talk starting with, "You go, girlfriend." - Bad in it's native form, it is unbearable between two white men trying to dance. Please let this one go. Also on this list is the Snoop Dogg "Shizzle Language." Let me warn you that you may not know what you are saying if you quote this.

The real problem with trendy ebonics type language is by the time you hear it, it is out of date. Here is a simple rule of thumb, when Matt Lauer says it on TV it is no longer popular. You sound like a joke people. Stop saying "Bling Bling!"

Are you catching on that some of you have gotten lazy in your language just borrowing whatever you hear on the news. Also out of date is "Crunk" if you don't know what it means then don't bother to learn it is already out of the music videos.

Ok, I'm stepping away from Ebonics after this list of vetoed expressions: Waaazup!, Yo, Dog, Pimpin', Maxin' and Relaxin', and anything you heard your kids quote from MTV you don't understand.

Ok back to normal language that is over used... "The Good news is... the bad news is." So cliche and hackneyed it usually isn't done correctly in an ill fated attempt at humor. "The Good news is Jeff is coming to the party, the bad news is... Jeff is coming to the party." Please stop it people, if I hear one more "The Good news is I got a clean bill of health, the bad news is the doctors bill isn't so clean." I'm going to assault someone.

"At the end of the day..." - A cliche used to say something annoying like. "At the end of the day, I'm the one who has to keep the budget on office supplies." Why not just say, "No, you can't have #2 pencil, I'm penny pinching nut job." "At the end of the day..." As if the end of the day is all that matters. I was told breakfast is the most important part of the day, so "At the beginning of the day..." might be a stronger expression.

If conclusion, try string together words that haven't lost all meaning. For example, I shouldn't have said, "Lost all meaning." That's just another cliche. I should have said, 'become careworn and pointless by the overuse of the uncreative."

Ok sorry, this list ran long. (Please vote for Batman vs. Superman if "you haven't done so already.")

8 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger nairb said...

"Think outside of the box"
"We are gaining synergy"
"This is a new paradigm shift"

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything with the exclamation point being the word "DUDE!".

"I'm so...."or "that is so..." fill in the blank. AARRGGG!

I heard that!

That's what I'm talking about!

Like, you know?

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

"Have a good one..." is said cheerily by everyone lately (my mind drifts vaguely to the john and I'm tired of it)

"No offense but..." (you know the next thing they are going to say is going to be a knock out punch and I'm tired of it)
Mom

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

"the good news is I'm having fun on my vacation"

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! The vitriole is flying today!
When I hear someone speaking in platitudes/cliches, I just write it off to them having a very low imagination level, and I just pity them.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger holly said...

Oh, this is dear to my heart. Mine are:

"Needless to say.." then don't!
and
"Myself," when used incorrectly in an attempt to sound formal. "Interested parties should speak to Steve or myself." "Me" is right, so use it.

I'm glad others cherish the English language in all its horror and glory :)

 
At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a new way to use "all"...

"So my mom was all "clean up your room" and I was all tired and she was all "if you don't clean up your room you'll lose your allowance"...

It's hard to put in writing, 11 year old girls are beter at it.

Wezie

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

I've really "touched a nerve" here. Even Holly Root the grammar goddess seems "on board."

I think Wezie hit one of my pet peeves with "all." Very bothersome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters