Sunday, August 07, 2005

Call me the Green Arrow, wait no! Hawkeye!

If you don't know those two super heroes they are both mostly normal people with extreme skill in one area: archery. They are kind of like Batman, but without a cave and an attitude problem. In fact, Hawkeye is a notorious joker, but it doesn't really matter he was recently killed by the Scarlet Witch.

Ok the point of that comic book ramble is to say, I bought a bow and arrow. Technically I bought a bow, six arrows, a foam target, an arm guard, a drawing glove and a stinger. I'm pretty good from about 15 feet right now, but the man at the store says my bow could be used on a deer 25 or 30 yards away, when I've sighted it in. I don't think I'll be doing any deer hunting soon, but its good to know I could.

Ryan wrote about gun safety, but it would take a goliath to sting my bow. Even when strung most children couldn't draw it. It has a 50# pull, and takes about 70# to string it. I've shot my father's compound bow from time to time, but this seems more natural and more fun. Mine is a recurve bow, meaning it doesn't have any of those cams or gears, just one strung, one piece of wood, a boy and the call of nature.

Burglars beware: If you break in, and wait 5 minutes for me to get my gear on, and a few more to string the bow, then hold still while I draw and aim, then don't laugh when my first two miss you, then move a little closer, then you better watch out.

6 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were dangerous enough with your rapier-sharp wit; now we will be trembling at your weapons skills also. You are becoming truly a fearful creature!!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Lone Ranger said...

I prefer Chingachgook. No superhero costume, but it eliminates that whole getting dressed in the middle of the night scenario.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

A suggestion if I may: because of the litigious society we live in, it may be prudent to post the last paragraph of this post somewhere visible to would-be robbers. On the front door or any exposed windows. Just a thought.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Lindsey said...

hilarious

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger SubBlogger said...

which way to Sherwood Forest?

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger The Root said...

The recurve is the way to go, man. Never been a fan of guns, personally. I even threw out the ones that came with my G.I.Joes. But bows I can get behind. I haven't shot mine in years and probably won't get to in Vegas, but it's one of those hobbies that I miss desperately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters