Thursday, July 28, 2005

Harry Potter Rant ***SPOILER***

The asterisks should have warned you that this contains info about the 6th HP book. Read no further if you haven't finished the book. This info is for people who have finished it as well or parents who can't read a 700 page book but want to know what their kids do.

***** READ NO FURTHER ******

Ok so the Half-Blood Prince: I assumed the title meant Voldermort, or perhaps Harry but about halfway in I switched over to Snape. That was a good twist i think. JK was trying to make you believe it was Riddle.

The Death of Dumbledoor: Overly shadowed and assumed by audiences world wide... but still sad. Maybe I'm still coming of the death of a close relative but I was moved. Hopefully kids might think about death and be able to deal IRL better, but likely they'll not think about this happening to them unless they've already lost a grandfather.

Teen Romance: Now, I love a good snog but this got annoying. More of this shorter book was spent on teen angst that it was on Voldermort or Hogwarts lessons. It is not an entirely accurate portrayal either. Plus, absolutely no surprises! Everyone knows about the Harry-Ginny and Ron-Hermione pairings since like book 2! Predictable and I didn't even pass my Divination OWL.

Snape: Ok, am I the only one who still thinks he's not an active Death Eater? Harry always thought he was, but Dumby didn't. I think Snape is still a good person deep inside. I know, your thinking "But he killed Dumbledoor!" True enough, but what option did he have. There was no hope of help making it past the death-mark-barrier, there was already other death eaters and a werewolf in the room. The way I see it killing dumbledoor was the only way to keep from breaking his unbreakable vow to protect Malfoy. Maybe he and Dumbledoor discussed the possibility before, "If it comes down to me or the boy, kill me."

RAB: Anybody have any guessed about who this is? At least Harry has one ally out there... or two. RAB could be Regulus Something Black... Although I think he's assumed dead. Or if it is R and B it could be the Lestranges Rodulphus and Bellatrix. But I lean towards Serius' younger brother. He died trying to leave the death eaters and I think inherited an heirloom as mentioned when the kids are cleaning up the Black residence. Also the two Borgins and Burke guys who own the dark magic shop. They could have RA initials. I can't think of anyone else mentioned in the books with a possible RAB name. The locket said "I'll be long dead" and Regulus is dead.

Horcruxes: A strance theory... Harry is a Horcrux made so by Voldermort when he was a baby. Then Harry couldn't win unless he himself died too. I doubt this is true because JK is too predictable and this is too dark for her. Although maybe he could do it, the big sacrifice thing, then JK could retire and say, well he's dead. Some might call this a Phyrric victory but it's more like a messiah thing.

Well lets hear your thoughts.

5 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stayed up to 2:00 a.m. this morning finishing the book. I also think Snape was following orders in "killing" Dumbledore. Now that the romance stuff is taken care of; watch out for book 7 and the end of Harry or Tom Riddle. The fight should be interesting. Of course, when things get tough, Harry could just talk to Dumbledore in a picture in Dumbledore's old office, couldn't he? All the other Headmasters are there babbling all the time. Draco will see the light in book 7 I believe and save Harry.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

Check out the interview I linked on my blog...very interesting.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

TREY! i like your thinking, but spell Dumbledore's name right from now on! The book was good for me, i loved it...but it didn't take me long enough to get through. She needs to make it longer, or i need to slow down. I prefer the first. I am with you on the Snape thing except what trips me up is that DumbleDORE is pleading with Snape right before he is killed. Why would he plead, if he already had that conversation about killing him or Malfoy? Just a thought. I hate Snape whether he is good or bad, anyway- but props to his knack for potion making. That whole book-thing impressed me. Ok, I could talk about HP for days, and days...

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, I think that Dumbledore was pleading with Snape to kill him. Snape had a look of hate on his face because he hated himself for what he was doing. I don't think Snape wanted to do it but Dumbledore made him.

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

i agree with suzie creamcheese... i think dumbledore was trying to protect someone by having himself killed instead. isn't it always interesting that dumbledore always knows what is going to happen before someone tells him?
i don't think snape is necessarily the bad guy, just the one able to do what was necessary because of who and what he is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters