Monday, May 23, 2005

Preaching to the Choir: The Weaker Brother Rant

At our recent elders/ministers retreat we were confronted with the 1st Century Church's assembly. Our speaker, Preacher Mike Root (father-in-law of beloved Pat Bills), shook my cage during the retreat. In the past, I’ve pressured people to sing more of the songs I prefer. I’m the accelerator, and Wayne is the brakes. The problem with this is that I am only taking into accounts my needs, my preferences. So what now... I’ve heard the “weaker brother” gambit often. (Gambit means ploy or strategy.)

1 Corinthians 8:13 – “Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.”

Sometimes this is a sword wielded by a long-time member of the church to get what they want done during the one hour of church on Sunday morning. They say, “This whatever causes me to fall, therefore do it my way.” This puts them as the “weaker brother.” Because, you see, the stronger brother is the one who has to back down. Does this seem backwards to anyone else?

What is the cause of this? It’s simple. This verse is not about getting what I want, but seeing what I can give for someone else. There is nothing wrong with that meat, but if it really shakes a new Christian, I'll skip the barbecue. We all want to have my way, my needs met, my spiritual checklist completed. I’m reminded of the Beatles song “I, Me, Mine.”
All I can hear
I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
Even those tears
I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
No-one's frightened of playing it
Ev'ryone's saying it,
Coming on strong all the time,
All thru' your life I me mine.

Once again, the Beatles save the day. We are focused only on ourselves. Quit thinking of yourself as the weaker brother and look out for those who truly need your help and all these little things truly become insignificant. Mike Root said, “Every time I sing a song that is not my favorite it is a chance for me to give it to someone else!” Wow, I was convicted! Tell Wayne that he doesn’t have to be the brakes anymore! I’m willing to give. And honestly, you won’t fulfill yourself spiritually only serving yourself. That comes thru giving to others. (You'd know that already if you read the back page of the bulletin yesterday.)

I still hope we sing an occasional new song on… GASP… Sunday Morning! But if not, I’ll get a chance to give to someone else. And when we give to others we are giving to the Lord. “Lord, when did I feed you and visit you in prison and sing that song I really don’t like but know others do?”

But hey, I’m preaching to the choir here, right?

After-thought: Following each article I like to think... will this get me fired? If a blog on giving up personal preferences to serve others gets me fired, then as the Beatles said, “Let it be.”

Next time on Preaching to the Choir: Debunking the One Hour on Sunday Myth.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

There is a big difference in causing our brother to grumble and causing him to stumble. In Paul's letters, it is my humble opinion, that he NEVER imagined his readers EVER taking the point of view as the weaker brother. That rendering butchers the text. -Ryan

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Katie McB. said...

I think that to a point we need to watch out for our brother's and sister's weaknesses. I don't want to drink or gamble in front of a brother who has let these activities turned to sin and is trying to get free. Then again, God knows our hearts and he knows when a brother is using the weaker brother argument as a ploy to get what he wants. There is a lot of common sense that has to be used here. All though it may be harder for us to read someone's heart, you can get a sense when someone is using God's word for his own gain and those situations when there truely is a weaker brother.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters