Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Tower of Babel Poetry: To Dance

After the last two lengthy posts I think you all deserve a short one. So I submit to you an art form of my own creation.

Introducing Trey Laminack's
Tower of Babel Poetry

Tower of Babel Poetry is created by puting an original English poem into a online translator for some other language. Then translateing the other language back into English. If it works for stereo instructions think what it could to for poetry. I often wondered if this new art form is the real reason God scrambled our languages.

Take your time and enjoy the Babel version first, it is the finished product.

Babel Version of "To dance":
It is a pity to me, that I cannot dance, but legs are in boots of cement.
About to resemble the ballerina or person of the bat.
But I am doomed and in a trap by gravity of mother.
Alas! Alas! Alas! But my soul can dance in my dreams.

Russian Version "станцевать":
Мне жаль, что я не могу танцевать, когда, но ноги находятся в ботинках цемента.
О, чтобы походить на балерину или Денщика.
Но я обречен и заманен в ловушку(пойман) серьезностью матери.
Увы! Увы! Увы! Но моя душа может танцевать в моих мечтах.

Original English Version "To Dance":
I wish I could dance but my feet are in cement shoes.
Oh, to be like a ballerina or Batman.
But I am doomed and trapped by mother gravity.
Alas! Alas! Alas! But my soul may dance in my dreams.

Isn't it strange how wrong and right the translation can be. Compare the English to the Babel version. I particularly like "in a trap by gravity of mother." And isn't it strange that "my soul may dance in my dreams" translates almost perfectly!

It's art. A new art. A postmodern art. Invented by me baby, ME! You heard it here first people.

6 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

Nice Jack Black reference there at the end. You are as officially proud of your new poetry as he was of his one chord song.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger James said...

And he totally told you to do the bendy part.

He wins. He wins, one to nothing.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

Hmm... so your saying you... you hate my tower of babel poetry!

That's one song in the bank!
But it...NEXT SONG!
I was just... NEXT!

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give us the URLs for some of these on-line translators, so that we too may know the joy of creating using this marvelous new art form.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Jennifer Schroeder said...

While I do appreciate the creativity of your postmodern poetry, I don't think you realize that the words you posted online just reawakened the bolshevik revolution.

 
At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made a video presentation in HS about the Bulsheviks. It had video clips from star wars cut into it. And the final big battle scene was played out with toys army men, gi joes, dinosaurs and any other toys we could find. A-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters